Eco-friendly disposable cups - possible???

Squaredy

I have been in contact with Rijo42 and it sounds good.  They are not PLA lined and claim to be the only fully compostable cup in the UK, only launched a few weeks ago.  I have ordered some and I will update how I get on.  They said they are not on general sale yet, but I seem to have been able to place an order so we will see.

2 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

How are your baking skils?

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The national carrier hopes the cups will help reduce waste, but some say the airline should do more.

Mmmmm my baking skills are not at all bad, but maybe I will stick to my famous banana cake and chocolate pate.  

Plus my new 100% paper cups arrived today - here is a pic of my lovely hot chocolate ready for testing.  One used cup is now in my compost.  So far so good.

1AEB95EB-54D7-4BE6-AD33-13759D22CAA0.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lowestoft Firewood said:

@Squaredy have also come accross these guys cups - worth a look? 

WWW.BORGANDOVERSTROM.COM

Reduce plastic and promote reusable drinking vessels with our range of sustainable cups and bottles. Visit the Borg & Overström blog

Their website doesn't say, but it looks as if they are lined with PLA, so not home compostable at all.

4 hours ago, Lowestoft Firewood said:

@Squaredy have also come accross these guys cups - worth a look? 

WWW.BORGANDOVERSTROM.COM

Reduce plastic and promote reusable drinking vessels with our range of sustainable cups and bottles. Visit the Borg & Overström blog

Just found it now - yes they are PLA lined which means (among other problems) that when people put them into recycling they will be outsorted and go into general waste.  I'm afraid PLA is not the way forward, but I think it will take a few years for the world to realise that this is yet another blind alley.

Is the issue here not simply one of public awareness?  PLA lined paper cups are compostable but not domestically; the PLA needs the heat of industrial composting to break it down.  So presumably you can put the cups into your roadside food waste bin.