Eco-friendly disposable cups - possible???

Squaredy

7 hours ago, openspaceman said:

When I grew up there was no recycling  but most homes had fires and all the paper got used to light them, similarly there was no plastic packaging other than celophane. The only reason I don't burn much paper now is that it produces more ash, so it's more convenient to put it in the blue bin.

I only lived in a house with a cess pit for two years, hoped to buy the place but it was a tied cottage. That was raw sewage that had to be tankered away, I thought a septic tank needed cleaning less frequently as it was basically only a sludge that built up over a year or so and was less environmetally unsound @eggsarascal?

You are correct Andrew. The bigger question is why is anyone carting waste water/sewage 150 miles, surely there is a works closer that can take both domestic ww and sludge? Any big town works should be able to cope with domestic imports.

I will interject and again state that our great British tradition of NIMBY'ism, compounded by knowingly decietful and bare-faced lying about so-called "recycling" Councils and Council Officers is the problem.

All waste, barring specialized industrial waste, MUST be dealt with within the community that produces it, and by more than our shameful current  box-ticking so-called "recycling", then proper and preferably CHP incineration,  then landfill.

O.K. I would allow them to export their waste for landfill, because that will cost the true economic rate.

Our current UK model is simply about exporting our prolifigate consumer produced pollution at the lowest cost to the household or consumer producer, with ZERO consideration of what happens at the other end.

But how one can effect the needed changes within our democratic system is a conunderum indeed!

RANT over.

mth

• Like 3

2 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

You are correct Andrew. The bigger question is why is anyone carting waste water/sewage 150 miles, surely there is a works closer that can take both domestic ww and sludge? Any big town works should be able to cope with domestic imports.

I don't know the politics of it, but Scottish Water (publicly owned) don't empty septic tanks anymore (unless you're on a contract maybe?) so joe bloggs with a septic tankhas to get a private contractor in.

And Scottish Water seemingly don't allow private contractors to empty at their water works, so it all has to get trucked out.

I had a friend who had has emptied with a slurry tanker and spread onto fields, probably better for the environment!

49 minutes ago, scbk said:

I don't know the politics of it, but Scottish Water (publicly owned) don't empty septic tanks anymore (unless you're on a contract maybe?) so joe bloggs with a septic tankhas to get a private contractor in.

And Scottish Water seemingly don't allow private contractors to empty at their water works, so it all has to get trucked out.

I had a friend who had has emptied with a slurry tanker and spread onto fields, probably better for the environment!

I got our septic tank emptied by a local farmer "who does", he simply takes the contents and empties them into the  proportionally vaster slurry tank beneath his slatted cattle house, then in due course spreads with the rest of his slurry.

53 minutes ago, scbk said:

Sorry!

thats bleeding expensive mind.

7 minutes ago, difflock said:

I got our septic tank emptied by a local farmer "who does", he simply takes the contents and empties them into the  proportionally vaster slurry tank beneath his slatted cattle house, then in due course spreads with the rest of his slurry.

How a lot of small farmer/tanker owners do it.

8 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

a quick search suggests it's not  actually unlawful as long as you comply with
The Sludge (Use in Agriculture) Regulations 1989

I'm getting out of my depth now, the former Mrs Egg would know more. I didn't think untreated sludge could go to ground lawfully?

Edited by eggsarascal