Riparian alder management for the future?

I have approximately 5km of upland riverbank to ‘deal’ with, regarding riparian tree management. The river environment has been managed and modified to a great extent in the past. A return to a more naturally dynamic watercourse is only possible on some sections due to factors outside my control. About 80% of the trees are native alder with again the vast majority being of a similar size and age. Many show evidence of being previously coppiced.

I am led to believe that in the past these riverside alders were ‘managed’, although the only hard evidence I can find is the visual apparent coppicing. I have for years believed that some form of management should be ongoing. I’ve always had the idea that every so often a few clusters should be re-coppiced. This should then be repeated on another few after say 5 years, so that over a period of 25-30 years the majority would be ‘re-newed’ as it were. A few would be left in their natural state to age normally. The background reasoning for this train of thought stems from (pardon the pun) various issues which I have noted whilst living here for the last 25+ years.

Due to the nature of this upland river (234m asl falling to 176m asl in c5km) it can be very fast flowing when in spate and bank erosion is a serious issue. The riparian trees perform a vital function in reducing/controlling erosion. However they do not stop this entirely and sometimes fail when severely undermined. By coppicing and therefore reducing the sail effect I reckon this would reduce the amount that fail. Another benefit would be that light levels to the bank would increase and that other suitable species (the locally native willow, aspen etc) could then be planted to increase tree species diversity, with all its associated benefits. This should also increase The resistance to erosion. I also fear that an outbreak of Phytopthera would take out the vast majority of the riparian trees along this length, which would leave very few trees to protect the banks. There are believe other benefits but for the sake of brevity I’ll leave it at that.

I have discussed the above with various organisations involved in this sort of thing locally and all seem very happy and think it’s a good idea. I need to write a management plan to present to our local National Park team (who are happy with the idea) to get the relevant permissions, but I can’t find any ‘dissenters’ who think it’s a poor idea or who have different ideas on this. There must be alternative viewpoints and/or ideas, mustn’t there?

So any constructive criticism would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Didn't realize there was a Phytopthera that affected alder ?

WWW.FORESTRESEARCH.GOV.UK

Overview of Phytophthora disease of alder

Am under the impression Alder is a fairly short lived  species and  coppicing may increase the  lifespan so plan sounds good.

Are all trees same age or are new saplings germinating?

Is area stock fenced?