Which do you use... Base Anchor or Canopy Anchor

Treespasser

Which do you use... Base Anchor or Canopy Anchor  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Base Anchor or Canopy Anchor

• Base Anchor
    • Canopy Anchor
    • Both... depending on the job specification

What method do you guys use to switch to a canopy tie when in the trees? I can see it being a massive faff when trying to set it up. I'd like to get used to the last method in the Climbing Arborist - Canopy Ties video on Youtube, using a DIY cambium saver of sorts, to be able to ascend the anchor as well.

For me, it totally depends on the job at hand. For pruning works I much prefer that my line is retrievable from the ground so that I do not need to go back to the top to get it. For this, I may stay on a base anchor for short duration tasks or switch to a canopy anchor such as a cambium saver knot-blocked. That way if I ensure the small ring of the cambium saver is on the right side, I can retrieve it easily.

For removals, it’s always a canopy TIP tie for me. Base anchored for access, get the ground or to undo the base, and just an easy bowline round a suitable anchor.

The key for easy switch overs is to get the throw line shot as high as you can to minimise the amount of times you have to ascend before getting to that TIP.

So, in short, base tie to go as high as poss then Ddrt to final anchor. It’s quicker to ascend Ddrt from this point as you only need to remove the pin of the rope wrench and it’s free. Hope this helps???
  • Like 2

Rarely base anchor, and if so it will usually be until I can isolate a better anchor ... to work off a base anchor is very rare as it’s easy to manipulate a decent route with a throw bag to set a retrievable system up..
Mostly I’m still using a pinto rig with dmm duralock despite all the bollox about the pinto not being suitable for this application.
Rarely will I set a ring or unless we have to perform to best practices that day , much easier to retrieve the pinto.
Some times for spar work I’ve found it is a lot easier just to set a long tailed bowline for setting rigging and face cuts on bigger wood then just pull out the tail to set for the final cut.

• Like 1

This is my go-to canopy anchor-

So long as you remove your climbing system from the rope and remember to attach your retrieval ball it’s a winner. Just stick your rope thru the saver and put an alpine butterfly with a ‘biner in the other side. Zero friction to retrieve, easy to set and so much safer than a base anchor 

10631499-EBF6-4E30-9228-E28D091F10C6.jpeg
EDIT-the “live” end of the line (where your friction device would be) is on the RIGHT, just to cover my own arse ?‍♂️

Edited by Treetom15
Poor spelling
  • Like 4

On 25/01/2020 at 12:45, Jake Andrews said:

For removals, it’s always a canopy TIP tie for me. Base anchored for access, get the ground or to undo the base, and just an easy bowline round a suitable anchor.

Cheers for the reply! Would you tie a bowline on a bight, instead of hauling the whole of the working end up to tie the knot?

• Like 1

So long as you remove your climbing system from the rope and remember to attach your retrieval ball it’s a winner. Just stick your rope thru the saver and put an alpine butterfly with a ‘biner in the other side. Zero friction to retrieve, easy to set and so much safer than a base anchor 
10631499-EBF6-4E30-9228-E28D091F10C6.thumb.jpeg.e4db8f08f85a22bb1ac1a44da0db8f01.jpeg
EDIT-the “live” end of the line (where your friction device would be) is on the RIGHT, just to cover my own arse ?‍♂️
Is there a video on how to use this thing? It looks awesome.

Cheers for the reply! Would you tie a bowline on a bight, instead of hauling the whole of the working end up to tie the knot?

No problem!

I pull the whole line up myself. In reality it may take 30 secs (but feels like 5 mins) but the other end of the bite will just be dangling in your way for no reason. It’s better to tie it up tidy from the off. My method is, if you minimise anything that may pee you off in the tree, your more likely to be in a better head space to work more efficiently and safely.

For pruning I'll usually work off a base anchor. Set the anchor high on the trunk to keep it out of the way of the groundies.

I'll judge each job individually though. If there's a lot going on or any rigging etc I'll canopy tie. If im dismantling I'll usually climb ddrt as I find it easier and less faff on spikes. Sometimes I'll use SRT for access on a big ivy covered dismantle and change to ddrt to start cutting.

I don't worry too much about working from a base tie, just be aware of where your rope is!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, averagearborist said:
On 25/01/2020 at 19:00, Treetom15 said:
10631499-EBF6-4E30-9228-E28D091F10C6.thumb.jpeg.e4db8f08f85a22bb1ac1a44da0db8f01.jpeg

Read more  

There may be somewhere online but I’m not sure myself sorry! If I remember next time I use it I’ll grab a vid ?

On 26/01/2020 at 20:04, averagearborist said:
On 25/01/2020 at 19:00, Treetom15 said:

Read more  

Skip to 4:37 for the cambium saver canopy tie method.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2019 at 09:57, Treetom15 said:

Saw this the other day and it was a timely reminder just how vulnerable you are on a Basel anchor-

There is too many factors that can cause a base anchor to fail- falling branches, sharp items on the anchor point, increased risk of the anchor point in the canopy failing, inexperienced ground staff damaging the base anchor....... 

Partial vindication for having to use 2 rope systems. That said, if that can happen to one rope going to base then it could happen to both. Choose your climbing systems wisely!

• Like 1