Forestry work

Jack.P

6 hours ago, Khriss said:

@Jack.P yes mate, piss take rates - wouldn't touch it - however, others a right as yr coming in as a junior cutter and I know yr fine but the lil things speed you up ( like proper sharpening) but after a couple of weeks if yr stack is a good un. Then get a good rate. Price wise this bloke is at the dog-end of forestry. K

As you’ve rightly said I am relatively new to the forestry game but not a total beginner 

i still can’t work out how amateur or good to work the company in question is

he must be doing something right though  to get national trust blocks ? but there’s only one other cutter on the site who wants to work for 12 quid .i think the reality is people would mostly prefer to work in supermarkets doing easier work for the same hourly rate

the main business is fencing materials but big heavy strainers on piece rate only pays £1.50 pointed &stacked which came as a surprise how low that was 

It’s had me thinking if I wanted to Its Not particularly hard to run my own small company like this .

presumably the landowners he deals with get say 35% from  all wood/product that’s extracted and sold ? say if it’s two thirds useable chestnut fencing and the rest birch firewood and chip and all brash left

8 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

As you’ve rightly said I am relatively new to the forestry game but not a total beginner 

i still can’t work out how amateur or good to work the company in question is

he must be doing something right though  to get national trust blocks ? but there’s only one other cutter on the site who wants to work for 12 quid .i think the reality is people would mostly prefer to work in supermarkets doing easier work for the same hourly rate

the main business is fencing materials but big heavy strainers on piece rate only pays £1.50 pointed &stacked which came as a surprise how low that was 

It’s had me thinking if I wanted to Its Not particularly hard to run my own small company like this .

presumably the landowners he deals with get say 35% from  all wood/product that’s extracted and sold ? say if it’s two thirds useable chestnut fencing and the rest birch firewood and chip and all brash left

Not being funny but surely it's quite a big jump from asking wot a decent rate is to actually running the company.

While not rocket science but if u don't know how many pieces u can cut in an hour/day out of different timber stands how are u going to agree a price on a job just by looking at it??

Loads of forestry companies go bust every year ( as do ARB companies) good bosses make it look easy but it can be harder then u think when u have to price in plant too.

Really need to walk a long way first before u start to run.

• Like 2

Anyways just heard from the geezer that he was only offering the day rate for an additional week then piece rate .i have said no now not coming back.enough bloody monkey business.in my opinion not fair really and no wonder people don’t work there considering there is a fair amout of low value wood to come out and cutting and processing takes just as long shite stuff or not.

• Like 1