Forestry work

Jack.P

There is a big difference between 20 or 30p a piece.

Either 5 or 3 to a quid.

If 30p ur only 45 pieces an hour to get ur 15 quid an hour.

Really depends if u could cut 1 every min throu the day?

It all depends on the site and timber

No doubting very hard work but plenty of outside jobs are similar

Tree planting rates are around 7 to 8p a tree, great on new plough but very hard work on steep restock sites

11 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Tree planting rates are around 7 to 8p a tree, great on new plough but very hard work on steep restock sites

I always think planters are under valued .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

There is a big difference between 20 or 30p a piece.

Either 5 or 3 to a quid.

If 30p ur only 45 pieces an hour to get ur 15 quid an hour.

Really depends if u could cut 1 every min throu the day?

It all depends on the site and timber

45 an hour will be going some with that size diameter wood .also brash has got to be chucked to one side and all the 8ft lengths (some very heavy) all got to be stacked .

On 28/11/2019 at 19:27, Jack.P said:

Not been counting .

Already had decided not going to take it up if it has to be on piece rate

It’s a gamble how much I can make when elsewhere I can get a decent hourly rate or day rate 

im only trying it out as wanted a change of scene so not desperate for work and don’t think piece rate is a good option given the fact how low each piece pays

Piece rate is last century mate. You would be better offering a price on a block of woodland and cutting it to their spec' then you work when you like and slot other jobs in as and when. K

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

The geezer is now saying 12 quid an hour and didn’t exept my offer of 15

this still seems low for someone supplying all own equipment and fuel etc doing heavy weight manual work. what is the going rate for a hand cutter down south?

It depends how good you are, Most people I know get anywhere between £100-£150 per day, a few of us get more but are worth every penny.

It really isn’t about hourly rate in Forestry, you can’t expect £150 per day and then cut the guy you are working for £80 worth of wood, simple economics.

Thats why piece rate is still so common, you earn what you cut, you learn to cut better and more efficient and if you can’t, jack it in and be a groundy in Arb.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

The geezer is now saying 12 quid an hour and didn’t exept my offer of 15

this still seems low for someone supplying all own equipment and fuel etc doing heavy weight manual work. what is the going rate for a hand cutter down south?

I agree £12/hour isn't a lot,and tbh the 20p per piece doesn't sound a lot either. However, I suspect you are new to this , and heres the crunch...the timber is bought on a price per tonne,and sold at a price per tonne, so , to get the timber to roadside there is a cost of cutting and extraction. So much a tonne for cutting, likewise for extraction. If you are on an hourly or day rate you have to be cutting enough to justify that rate, otherwise you are being subsidised from the extraction rate. 

The whole forest industry works on cost per tonne, consequently piece rate.

What I don't agree with however is that cutters should be working on a low rate because the timber is of low value, their sweat is worth the same whatever they are cutting.

The last cutting I did, which was a few weeks ago, was £30/hour.

• Like 2

I agree £12/hour isn't a lot,and tbh the 20p per piece doesn't sound a lot either. However, I suspect you are new to this , and heres the crunch...the timber is bought on a price per tonne,and sold at a price per tonne, so , to get the timber to roadside there is a cost of cutting and extraction. So much a tonne for cutting, likewise for extraction. If you are on an hourly or day rate you have to be cutting enough to justify that rate, otherwise you are being subsidised from the extraction rate. 
The whole forest industry works on cost per tonne, consequently piece rate.
What I don't agree with however is that cutters should be working on a low rate because the timber is of low value, their sweat is worth the same whatever they are cutting.
The last cutting I did, which was a few weeks ago, was £30/hour.

It’s absolutely scandalous that in this day and age people are still paid piece rate. I don’t see how it’s legal to be honest. Yet some will justify it and happily pay their workers peanuts yet complain when Amazon does the same thing. ? Imagine if Amazon paid piece rates? The U.K. would rightly be up in arms.

@Jack.P yes mate, piss take rates - wouldn't touch it - however, others a right as yr coming in as a junior cutter and I know yr fine but the lil things speed you up ( like proper sharpening) but after a couple of weeks if yr stack is a good un. Then get a good rate. Price wise this bloke is at the dog-end of forestry. K

5 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

It’s absolutely scandalous that in this day and age people are still paid piece rate. I don’t see how it’s legal to be honest. Yet some will justify it and happily pay their workers peanuts yet complain when Amazon does the same thing. ? Imagine if Amazon paid piece rates? The U.K. would rightly be up in arms.

Tbh all t

5 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Tbh all the work I do on piece pays a better return than hourly/day rate.Providing the rate is fair for the work it is the best way of working. We are talking about self employed cutters/ contractors working within an industry that has worked that way for a hundred years or more, why change it , it works ?

There are boys earning towards £80/90k a year on harvesters on piece rate, not too bad really.