Forestry work

Jack.P

8 hours ago, Stere said:

Do you use log tongs?

Sounds like a job they would be good for.

Hi .Yes been using large  husqvarna tongs which work well if the logs are not too heavy to drag.the new Stihl ms241 running 14’’ has been perfect for this sort of work .the only snagging point I have found is that the bar is a bit short for pointing strainers and any longer than 14’’ and won’t run as good .also so far  it’s been pretty fuel efficient compared to the other machines and surprisingly powerful for a lightweight saw

I had bought some rotatech chains for it which I’m less than impressed with as not compatible with the drive wheel so waste of time trying to save money there 

still unsure if this work is for me though.at least I would have done a week of it so got good idea what’s involved now 

17 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

Hi .Yes been using large  husqvarna tongs which work well if the logs are not too heavy to drag.the new Stihl ms241 running 14’’ has been perfect for this sort of work .the only snagging point I have found is that the bar is a bit short for pointing strainers and any longer than 14’’ and won’t run as good .also so far  it’s been pretty fuel efficient compared to the other machines and surprisingly powerful for a lightweight saw

I had bought some rotatech chains for it which I’m less than impressed with as not compatible with the drive wheel so waste of time trying to save money there 

still unsure if this work is for me though.at least I would have done a week of it so got good idea what’s involved now 

How many pieces a day are you cutting,.

42 minutes ago, luftwaffe said:

How many pieces a day are you cutting,.

Not been counting .

Already had decided not going to take it up if it has to be on piece rate

It’s a gamble how much I can make when elsewhere I can get a decent hourly rate or day rate 

im only trying it out as wanted a change of scene so not desperate for work and don’t think piece rate is a good option given the fact how low each piece pays

• Like 2

Doesn’t sound as though I got the job anyway .they want me back on Monday but not willing to offer me day rate .in the new block we just started is a lot of low value fire wood and chip which has got to go first before getting into the  more valuable stuff firewood/chip doesn’t pay much when on piece rate and hardly worthwhile but piece rate arrangement not really for me anyway when each pays so little 

who is really going to bother cutting /stacking heavy birch /hornbeam @8ft for 20p 

• Like 1