Forestry work

Jack.P

Hi again

I’ve recent had another try at forestry work and its going better this time but ..

Currently trying to decide how worthwhile/ viable the job could be

to start with it was agreed I’d be on a day rate then after that on piece rate (mostly chestnut )

having now spoken to one of the cutters on the job it’s now more apparent how little you get for each strainer/post that’s cut /stacked and pointed all by hand.heavy strainer 5ft6 / 6ft =£1.50

i was told when first  enquiring that from the guy who was advertising the job £120 is realistic once up to speed 

but cutting 80 of those strainers for the 120 seems unrealistic to me or various other timber to spec (that’s lower paid ie chip @20 p .a piece) .I have worked out that on piece rate in prime cutting weather i could potentially only make 11-12 quid an hour (after expenses) 

does these figures sound about right?

i am going off the idea a bit now but sticking with it for the week at least 

i am thinking of asking for 100 quid as a 7 hr day rate 

9 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

Hi again

I’ve recent had another try at forestry work and its going better this time but ..

to start with it was agreed I’d be on a day rate then after that on piece rate (mostly chestnut )

having now spoken to one of the cutters on the job it’s now more apparent how little you get for each strainer/post that’s cut /stacked and pointed all by hand.heavy strainer 5ft6 / 6ft =£1.50

i was told when first  enquiring that from the guy who was advertising the job £120 is realistic once up to speed 

but cutting 80 of those strainers for the 120 seems unrealistic to me or various other timber to spec (that’s lower paid ie chip @20 p .a piece) .I have worked out that on piece rate in prime cutting weather i could potentially only make 11-12 quid an hour (after expenses) 

Stay away from price work and £100 for a 7 hour day is ok 

• Like 1

I'm probably missing something but even 6ft seems to short for a strainer? And £1.50 very cheap when you consider a 7ft 8inch strainer would sell for 10 times that. 

Either way I would be happy with £100 a day but there are people on more (or less) depending on your area.

Where was the job?

The 6ft strainer would be basically a heavy full round post for a slight change of direction I should think. 5'6" if they're going down the West country, they can't get them in any fuirther on the granite!

Edited by doobin

Hi yes some of the cutting spec did seem bit short for an upright pointed post but may well be for West Country buyers spec

i was expecting the heavy poles to pay nearer  3 quid having looked at what sell for and the work involved in preparing them

i think 7 hrs for 100 quid is a fair deal considering I am supplying all my own gear with new saws and got small fell / cross cut tickets 

there is only two others workers on reasonable big site which could be a bad sign ?

one on the saw and one on tractor .perhaps this could this be another cowboy company 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

Hi again

Why don’t you do a week cutting and count up the product you cut/make and then work out what the day rate versus piece rate is?

I have been cutting for 26 years, just about done everything except cutting for skyline.

Cutting sweet chestnut when you are making several products is the most labour intensive discipline that I have done.

Money can be earned, but your body won’t like you.

• Like 5

Jack P,
Are you being paid purely on the product of strainers/posts or a day/piece rate as a feller/cutter? Only reason I ask is I’m not entirely sure what the job spec is? Surely the main sticks are also being log grabbed out as a separate product. Or are you milling on site ? If it’s just cutting the larger cords for posts/strainers and it’s a case of “you earn what you make” then it’s a take it or leave it scenario. A weeks worth of graft should give you a good idea. If your being employed as a cutter/feller and are then expected to earn your dollar purely on ONE of the by products, I’d say your getting a seriously bum deal ! Good Cutters in Suffolk/Norfolk with own kit, are on £180 a day minimum. Hard and softwoods. Early starts but if on piece rate, choose your time for finish, [emoji6]. (depending on how much you need to earn). Pm me if you live in that vicinity and I could give you a couple of numbers. [emoji106]

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Arbitree said:

Jack P,
Are you being paid purely on the product of strainers/posts or a day/piece rate as a feller/cutter? Only reason I ask is I’m not entirely sure what the job spec is? Surely the main sticks are also being log grabbed out as a separate product. Or are you milling on site ? If it’s just cutting the larger cords for posts/strainers and it’s a case of “you earn what you make” then it’s a take it or leave it scenario. A weeks worth of graft should give you a good idea. If your being employed as a cutter/feller and are then expected to earn your dollar purely on ONE of the by products, I’d say your getting a seriously bum deal ! Good Cutters in Suffolk/Norfolk with own kit, are on £180 a day minimum. Hard and softwoods. Early starts but if on piece rate, choose your time for finish, emoji6.png. (depending on how much you need to earn). Pm me if you live in that vicinity and I could give you a couple of numbers. emoji106.png

Hi im not in those parts but thanks .as far as I’m aware I’m on a day rate for a week or so to start with and that day rate hasn’t yet been discussed yet but should hopefully be 100 quid .after that then it’s piece rate on all wood cut to spec .it don’t sound like a great deal so 100 quid for 7 hrs will be my offer / £15p.h

22 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

Hi im not in those parts but thanks .as far as I’m aware I’m on a day rate for a week or so to start with and that day rate hasn’t yet been discussed yet but should hopefully be 100 quid .after that then it’s piece rate on all wood cut to spec .it don’t sound like a great deal so 100 quid for 7 hrs will be my offer / £15p.h

You've already started and you haven't agreed a rate?, that would be first thing to do tomorrow imo.

• Like 1

Yes I know it’s potentially bad idea etc I said I’d do a week to start with to try and see if it’s for me or not .i think maybe he wants to see what progress is made before saying a day rate .(even though it might only be a week then piece rate if I stay on)