An Idiot's guide to Ancient Woodland management

Very interesting post. I read Julias report on pond management which had great information.

I recently read Wilding by Isabella Tree ( yes really) which is about the return of wildlife to an English farm. You think you know a bit and then are told that earthworm mucus encourages the growth of bacteria and fifty or so bacteria are found in the earthworms gut. I have long known the value of the earth worm certainly not those details.

• Like 1

Read that book too last year and had a wander round part of Knepp in November '18.

Worth remembering that Ms Tree is an authoress by trade and that the estate has to generate income.  There is something about the place as described in the book that just seems too good to be true.

But it is a fascinating and heartwarming story, there's no doubt about that.

Derail over; sorry TVI!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stubby said:

Yea . You don't want it looking like a plantation . Any bats ?

Yes, lots of bats Stubby.

I don't know yet what species. Juliet is planning a proper survey for next year.

We are required to do a visual check for potential bat roosts before starting operations in any given area.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

'A thatcher is clearly taking hazel rods on an ad hoc
basis throughout Cocksedge Wood and because it is in shaded areas, the cut stump is rotting and
potentially killing each coppice stool where it dies back.'

I'd have been more worried about someone with a see in the dark logging horse nicking the ash

Fear not tree-fancier. I have invested heavily in comprehensive timber security measures!

1533268010_logsecurity.thumb.jpg.b40805f30e992db5087bfc4817d77caf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Stere said:

Does this rogue thatcher have permission ? ?

He did not.

One of the Deer stalking team caught him at it one evening and scared him off.

He was actually helping himself from the banks of the old railway embankment, the slopes of which are actually owned by the council.

We do sometimes let crafts people come and cut their own product, but we need to be able to tell them which areas to go into so they can slot in with the management objectives.

56 minutes ago, fagus said:

Very interesting post. I read Julias report on pond management which had great information.

I recently read Wilding by Isabella Tree ( yes really) which is about the return of wildlife to an English farm. You think you know a bit and then are told that earthworm mucus encourages the growth of bacteria and fifty or so bacteria are found in the earthworms gut. I have long known the value of the earth worm certainly not those details.

Nice one fagus!

That book is in my audiobook library waiting for a listen. 

A certain very important individual (soon to be revealed) has read it recently and has been telling me all about it.

4 hours ago, Bolt said:

Netflix mini series.

Not enough cars pulling up in front of buildings, or harrowed people splashing water on their faces, gripping the sides of a sink and staring at themselves in the mirror for that!

I've had to stop watching some series' because once you notice it, it just gets ridiculous.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Not enough cars pulling up in front of buildings, or harrowed people splashing water on their faces, gripping the sides of a sink and staring at themselves in the mirror for that!

I've had to stop watching some series' because once you notice it, it just gets ridiculous.

….. but there could be crouching beside lakes, swilling the sawdust out of beards with pure crystal clear water.

…..could get sponsorship from Head and Shoulders.

or possibly even Timotei.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fagus said:

I had the great opportunity of being in at the start of a 200 acre farm 'rewilding' project back in 1995 on the moors of the North Pennines.

(eccentric millionaire project).

Woodland planting, lake excavation, wetland creation and peatbog restoration.  Happy days.

Always nice to be a decade or two in front of the curve.