An Idiot's guide to Ancient Woodland management

26 minutes ago, ronnyray said:

Hi TVI 

I've just spent the last few evenings reading through this whole thread page by page and it has utterly enthralled me! 

I'm in awe of what you have a achived, it's amazing. 

The way you have written it is superb. 

Congrats 

Kieran 

Thanks Kieran,

Jolly nice of you to write such a kind message. Much appreciated.

Do you work with trees yourself?

• 3 weeks later...

On 11/10/2021 at 08:33, Toad said:

Is this part of your regular plan for clearing the edges of rides?

Hi Toad.

Partly that yes, but the main focus this time around is to establish new access tracks into uncharted areas of the Wood so we can actually get in there and make some sense of them.

Some of them will remain as shady narrow rides and some of them will be widened motor manually to let in more light and reap the wildlife benefits that this brings.

DSC_0102.thumb.JPG.aaff60776678afe7a887e4c5d40dedf5.JPG

DSC_0103.thumb.JPG.c66aeb9d9e62812c556fedb271d144e6.JPG

And this year's Darwin award goes to TVI 2!

DSC_0100.thumb.JPG.167bb69c6fbe7737b888b2018dbe37cf.JPG

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

@the village idiot Can you show how some of the older stands and clearances have grown please? Also late mushrooms - have you got these, abundant round here.

I so want to see how some of the parts that you have managed have changed, soil, fungi, wildlife and flora. Also any reports of income that you have managed to make because more would love to do it and want to know now long it takes this money pit to start paying just a little bit back,

Just go round and be snap happy.

I know I am not the only one that wants this.

• Like 1

Hi Rushes,

Thanks for the interest! I'll see what I can do with pictures of the woodland regeneration. I'm not generally a prolific photo taker but I'm sure I can muster up some shots.

I'll also put together a breakdown of what TVI 2 and I manage to earn. It will be important to note that we value work pleasure over max profitability and our earning potential is greatly determined by our particular circumstances (woodland type, woodland size, management objectives, owner engagement etc.) but I can certainly give you some sort of general idea.

Give me a few days to dust off the picture machine and fire up the abacus.🙂

• Like 5

I've just spent the past couple of days working through your fabulous thread TVI, thanks so much for recording all that you've done. 8 years ago we bought a small farm with 7 acres of over stood hazel coppice under oak and ash standards. I'm slowly opening up the main ride thought it and have cleared an area in the middle and the change in biodiversity in those small areas is amazing.

Seeing what you're doing is a huge encouragement to keep on with what we're doing. I have years of work ahead of me as a hobby forester but hope to imitate a little of what you've achieved.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mr_magicfingers said:

I've just spent the past couple of days working through your fabulous thread TVI, thanks so much for recording all that you've done. 8 years ago we bought a small farm with 7 acres of over stood hazel coppice under oak and ash standards. I'm slowly opening up the main ride thought it and have cleared an area in the middle and the change in biodiversity in those small areas is amazing.

Seeing what you're doing is a huge encouragement to keep on with what we're doing. I have years of work ahead of me as a hobby forester but hope to imitate a little of what you've achieved.

Fantastic!

Thanks mr magicfingers.

Great to hear that you are enjoying managing your patch. It never ceases to amaze me what can materialise when you let a bit of light in.

Do you have any ponds?

Would love to see some pictures of what you've been up to if you have any?

• Like 1

No ponds in the wood but a stream goes through it, well not a proper stream, it's fed by drainage ditches around the farm that end going through the woods. We do have two other ponds next to the wood, one kept as a swimming pond and one as a wildlife pond, full of life both of them.

I'll take some photos when I walk the dogs later and give you an idea of the place.