An Idiot's guide to Ancient Woodland management

8 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

Yes, I read the Wildlife Trust comment "It is ideal prey for owls, weasels and kestrels." We have owls about every night here, a kestrel most days and frequent stoats and weasels so the poor voles get kept in check.

It is thought very likely that us humans along with pretty much all the other modern day mammals evolved from an insect eating furry creature not too dissimilar from our friend the bank vole.

It's fun to imagine how different life would be if we were still the prey item for a host of huge hungry predators that could swoop down out of nowhere and rip us to pieces.

Paradoxically, our biggest survival threats now come from the polar opposite (microscopic) end of the spectrum (bacteria and viruses).

It's a funny old world.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

It is thought very likely that us humans along with pretty much all the other modern day mammals evolved from an insect eating furry creature not too dissimilar from our friend the bank vole.

It's fun to imagine how different life would be if we were still the prey item for a host of huge hungry predators that could swoop down out of nowhere and rip us to pieces.

Paradoxically, our biggest survival threats now come from the polar opposite (microscopic) end of the spectrum (bacteria and viruses).

It's a funny old world.

Oh no. My biggest survival threat is the 'stabby areas' on the Picadilly and Northern lines ? K

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lfservices said:

I've been out on one of my small sites Felling Ash dieback today ?

IMG_20200102_152436.jpg

IMG_20200102_152432.jpg

IMG_20200102_120038.jpg

IMG_20200102_133425.jpg

Great stuff, and thanks for posting pictures!

Do you always burn your brash or is it a site specific decision?

Can you tell us more about your set up? What sort of deal do you have with the landowners? Are you finding enough sites to be viable? Is woodland management the core of your business? Did you enjoy your lunch or did you wish you had brought something else?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, the village idiot said:

Do you always burn your brash or is it a site specific decision?

Can you tell us more about your set up? What sort of deal do you have with the landowners? Are you finding enough sites to be viable? Is woodland management the core of your business? Did you enjoy your lunch or did you wish you had brought something else?

I’m 22 years old based in West Sussex.

On this site the owner wants the brash burnt, although we have been leaving a few piles for the wildlife.

At the moment it’s just me and the saw, often have someone with me stacking the wood and put brash on fire. Planning to buy a timber trailer for my quad bike to make moving the timber easier. Had a leyland 272 synchro tractor but unfortunately that died last year so ended selling for spare parts. Have a Fordson major but that is up for sale as doesn’t get much use.

The arrangement I have with the landowner is that i get all the wood that I cut. I was previously just doing thinning work and taking out and dead etc, but ash dieback hit hard this year and has wiped out most of the wood. The woodland is predominately ash with several birch and small amount of hazel couple as well as some oaks. 

Once the ash ash is all done there is interest from the landowner in thinning one of their smaller copse by their house which is a mix of birch,alder etc. 

I want ant to get more into woodland management but currently have been running my own business for 3 years doing garden and tree work. Then come the winter I sell logs. 

Lunch??? Usually forget to take any lol ?

• Like 1

A couple more photos from a day Ash Felling last Friday. Nearly at the end of this site now, only a few roadside trees to do and around 10-20 at the end of the wood..... Once dry enough ill be able to get in and extract the timber. Probably looking at purchasing a timber trailer for my quad bike 

IMG_20200103_145301.jpg

IMG_20200103_113930.jpg

IMG_20200103_150930.jpg

IMG_20200103_142039.jpg

IMG_20200103_151634.jpg

IMG_20200103_152915.jpg

IMG_20200103_151309.jpg

IMG_20200103_145118.jpg

IMG_20200103_152623.jpg

• Like 4

On 02/01/2020 at 19:14, the village idiot said:

Did you enjoy your lunch or did you wish you had brought something else?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition ! ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lfservices said:

A couple more photos from a day Ash Felling last Friday. Nearly at the end of this site now, only a few roadside trees to do and around 10-20 at the end of the wood..... Once dry enough ill be able to get in and extract the timber. Probably looking at purchasing a timber trailer for my quad bike 

IMG_20200103_145301.jpg

IMG_20200103_113930.jpg

IMG_20200103_150930.jpg

IMG_20200103_142039.jpg

IMG_20200103_151634.jpg

IMG_20200103_152915.jpg

IMG_20200103_151309.jpg

IMG_20200103_145118.jpg

IMG_20200103_152623.jpg

Great stuff Liam.

Looks like you are having fun!

Presumably you'll only be able to extract to roadside with the quad and trailer. What's your plan from there?

Do you know what the owner's plan is for the area you are cutting. Are they going to re-plant or wait for natural regeneration?

I think there is a grant available for re-planting after 'chalara clearance', but I imagine it probably needs to be applied for before the felling stage.

Keep the pictures coming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the village idiot said:

Great stuff Liam.

Looks like you are having fun!

Presumably you'll only be able to extract to roadside with the quad and trailer. What's your plan from there?

Do you know what the owner's plan is for the area you are cutting. Are they going to re-plant or wait for natural regeneration?

I think there is a grant available for re-planting after 'chalara clearance', but I imagine it probably needs to be applied for before the felling stage.

Keep the pictures coming.

Yeah everything will be extracted to roadside/rideside. Then I will either hire my mates tractor and timber trailer to move wood to my yard, or will be left on site and I will log up when I need to and take away in my transit tipper. 

They have decided to let it regenerate naturally although they are worrying the the FC will sting them for money if nothing grows? 

On 31/12/2019 at 18:29, The avantgardener said:

The guy near me who does this as his main income has sites all over the country, from Kent to Lockerbie. He cuts the Birch down initially and markets the wood in exchange for three coppice rotation harvests when the regrowth is as thick as your thumb. 
It’s a lot easier to harvest using a clearing saw if it is all the same age rather than picking your way through Different size groupings.

Is that Al Ball mate?