An Idiot's guide to Ancient Woodland management

TVI..Thanks for your reply.

Self righteous, most definitely not ! 

I didn't explain my thoughts fully, it was no reflection on the foresters or the contractors but on the owners and their land agents. 

I'm back to the red now ?. Have a very good evening Sir ?

10 minutes ago, roboted said:

TVI..Thanks for your reply.

Self righteous, most definitely not ! 

I didn't explain my thoughts fully, it was no reflection on the foresters or the contractors but on the owners and their land agents. 

I'm back to the red now ?. Have a very good evening Sir ?

Understood.

I did go off on one a bit there! Got carried away with my own train of thought.

Hope you enjoy your tipple.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, doobin said:

You're pragmatic and honest about the realities of your situation, I like that.

Though selling wholesale, I wouldn't be quite so anal about the quality of your product.

Thanks doobin,

You're quite right, it would almost certainly be financially beneficial to be less fussy about firewood quality, opening up the options for faster kit.

I think it probably comes down to pride. I'm not generally a big fan of pride (I have some rather unorthodox views on free will) but in the case of our firewood it seems to have crept in the side door.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hang on a minute. I might be tipsy, but... You say you're concerned about the uniformity of the end product, yet you log up with a chainsaw and the log hanging off the end of a digger!!

At least a processor sets the length of cut for you! Have I missed something? Or is it all about the split? ?

Also, now you have a grab- set it up to work off the tractor forklift and save yourself digger hire costs.

Edited by doobin

2 minutes ago, doobin said:

Hang on a minute. I might be tipsy, but... You say you're concerned about the uniformity of the end product, yet you log up with a chainsaw and the log hanging off the end of a digger!!

At least a processor sets the length of cut for you! Have I missed something? Or is it all about the split? ?

Also, now you have a grab- set it up to work off the tractor forklift and save yourself digger hire costs.

Yup, it's all about the split.

You get very good at judging a 10'' log length when you do as many chainsaw cuts as we do.

The beauty of the excavator is that you can pick a log out of the stack and slew it round to the cutting area very quickly. I think this procedure would take too long with a tractor mounted grab. We did consider using the tractor but decided against it.

• Like 4

Do all the miss shapen ugly logs from branch unions etc get rejected? Always surprises me how fussy some people are about thoose type of logs. I reckon "un tidy" variable logs are actually better in some ways as mess from splitting and some smaller bits are handy as increases surface area and range of sizes.

Chunky branch union bits are good for keeping fire in longer, smaller bits  to get it going etc

Logs look really uniform, suppose its due to alot of tall skinny trees as opposed to more branchy hedge & edge trees from arb waste.

Did you cover % of ash in woods & ash dieback yet  and natural regen only & no re planting?

71mGV+iFw7L._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Stere

36 minutes ago, Stere said:

Do all the miss shapen ugly logs from branch unions etc get rejected? Always surprises me how fussy some people are about thoose type of logs. I reckon "un tidy" variable logs are actually better in some ways as mess from splitting and some smaller bits are handy as increases surface area and range of sizes.

Chunky branch union bits are good for keeping fire in longer, smaller bits  to get it going etc

Logs look really uniform, suppose its due to alot of tall skinny trees as opposed to more branchy hedge & edge trees from arb waste.

Did you cover % of ash in woods & ash dieback yet  and natural regen only & no re planting?

71mGV+iFw7L._SL1500_.jpg

Hi Stere, that's a handy looking gizmo. Do you know what it's called?

We cut the most gnarly branch unions out straight after felling but smaller ones are processed.

I absolutely take your point about a mix of sizes in the finished bag. Our two main customers like the uniformity of our logs and we are somewhat guided by them. They sell kindling too to get the fire going.

If we were ever to go over to a processor they probably wouldn't mind too much. There are some other reasons why we haven't gone down the processor route as yet which are highlighted in the firewood post, but we'll see what the future brings. The next large investment is more likely to be a big seasoning barn.

I haven't yet covered Ash dieback in depth. I am going to a seminar about managing Woodlands with Chalara next week. My plan was to report back after that.

Natural regeneration is earmarked for the ecology sections.

Just something i remember seeeing online

Looks like it never caught on

WWW.INDIEGOGO.COM

Help us create local jobs and keep our business in the USA. The Chainsaws Rule is a new tool that makes cutting...

You can get a mingo though

https://www.amazon.com/The-MINGO-inside-splash-265-01/dp/B0013LGQ3A/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_86_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CCP2VY734YPVYXRQ5WJG