Kwikchip 160 help

Iwanp

Hi, hope someone can help me out. We have a kwikchip 160, its been working fine for a while.

recently been having problems with the drive engaging lever. Noticed the bracket had bent so roller wasn't in line with sump guard when in drive. Am I right in thinking its the drive belts that hold the enging up when in drive?

fitted new drive belts and after 10 minutes work all 3 belts came off. They did have good tension when in drive. 

Do the drive pulleys need to be 100% aligned to each other? How can you adjust alignement ? Searched all over for a manual with no luck.

Any info anybody has on this machine would be much appreciated!

TIA

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Iwanp said:

Hi, hope someone can help me out. We have a kwikchip 160, its been working fine for a while.

recently been having problems with the drive engaging lever. Noticed the bracket had bent so roller wasn't in line with sump guard when in drive. Am I right in thinking its the drive belts that hold the enging up when in drive?

fitted new drive belts and after 10 minutes work all 3 belts came off. They did have good tension when in drive. 

Do the drive pulleys need to be 100% aligned to each other? How can you adjust alignement ? Searched all over for a manual with no luck.

TIA

hi iwanp,give kim sparks a phone at danequip,they have kwikchip now,i have the 160,albeit i am waiting on spares from kim just now,but they are great for advice,and the pdf workshop manual etc,tel07733004710,or [email protected]   hope u get it sorted out mate.

13 hours ago, Iwanp said:

TIA

I'm not really following the 'bent bracket' bit, and only have experience of the 222 but...

On the 222 the engine sits on a plate hinged on one side (parallel to the long axis of the chassis).

To engage the cutting wheel you have to lower the plate, on a cam attached to the 'clutch lever' - which then tensions the belts between the cutting wheel and engine. Everything should be reasonably in line. If it's throwing belts it's either out of alignment or the belts are so worn that they have stretched. With the engine OFF you can get an idea of the belt tension - a rule of thumb on most belts is that you shouldn't be able to twist them much more than a half turn at the mid point between pulleys.

If the belts are correctly tensioned, then look at alignment. It's a while since I worked on a 222 but IIRC there may be some adjustment between the engine and the hinged plate itself. I think that the plate hinges are fixed in position (non-adjustable) but the engine can be moved around a bit on the plate itself.

I think that there may be some adjustment on the 'engagement cam' itself, but just can't remember at the moment.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by Gary Prentice

Its the drive engaging lever's bracket thats bent, but can be fixed no problem.

I'll need to try and find where to adjust the engine to line them up better. Tried brand new belts and they came off after 10 minutes.

I'll try and get photos might explain it better. 

Thank for your reply 

9 hours ago, struie said:

hi iwanp,give kim sparks a phone at danequip,they have kwikchip now,i have the 160,albeit i am waiting on spares from kim just now,but they are great for advice,and the pdf workshop manual etc,tel07733004710,or [email protected]   hope u get it sorted out mate.

Thats great, I'll try and get hold of them next week. 

hoping its not a big problem as its not had that much use since we bought it

Ideally, belt pulleys do need to be as near as dammit, in line. Sounds like the engine cradle mounting is  out of alignment, possibly because the hinges are knackered. Is there anything that you can use as a reference between the cradle and the chassis? Is the pivot points okay? Hinge bolts present?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Ideally, belt pulleys do need to be as near as dammit, in line. Sounds like the engine cradle mounting is  out of alignment, possibly because the hinges are knackered. Is there anything that you can use as a reference between the cradle and the chassis? Is the pivot points okay? Hinge bolts present?

Would the gap from chassis to the cradle need to be the same at both  hinges? I will measure it tomorrow. Both hinge bolts are present with no play. Jacked up the cradle to check for any play movement but was solid.

Sorry to sound dumb, but by pivot point, would you mean the lever to lower the cradle to engage the drive belt? 

Had a quick inspection today, we set the chassis level, as can be seen in one photo, the other photos show the cutting head side out of level. And the pulley on the cutting head side out of level. Might need to check if this has dropped at the back. 

Anyone experienced anything similar?

thanks for all the help so far guys

IMG_1202.JPG

Just now, Iwanp said:

Had a quick inspection today, we set the chassis level, as can be seen in one photo, the other photos show the cutting head side out of level. And the pulley on the cutting head side out of level. Might need to check if this has dropped at the back. 

Anyone experienced anything similar?

thanks for all the help so far guys

IMG_1202.JPG

IMG_1206.thumb.JPG.5b049c1176073084e66e4b917bbcb488.JPG