Jump to content
Iwanp

Kwikchip 160 help

Recommended Posts

Hi, hope someone can help me out. We have a kwikchip 160, its been working fine for a while.

recently been having problems with the drive engaging lever. Noticed the bracket had bent so roller wasn't in line with sump guard when in drive. Am I right in thinking its the drive belts that hold the enging up when in drive?

fitted new drive belts and after 10 minutes work all 3 belts came off. They did have good tension when in drive. 

Do the drive pulleys need to be 100% aligned to each other? How can you adjust alignement ? Searched all over for a manual with no luck.

Any info anybody has on this machine would be much appreciated!

TIA

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Iwanp said:

Hi, hope someone can help me out. We have a kwikchip 160, its been working fine for a while.

recently been having problems with the drive engaging lever. Noticed the bracket had bent so roller wasn't in line with sump guard when in drive. Am I right in thinking its the drive belts that hold the enging up when in drive?

fitted new drive belts and after 10 minutes work all 3 belts came off. They did have good tension when in drive. 

Do the drive pulleys need to be 100% aligned to each other? How can you adjust alignement ? Searched all over for a manual with no luck.

Any info anybody has on this machine would be much appreciated!

TIA

hi iwanp,give kim sparks a phone at danequip,they have kwikchip now,i have the 160,albeit i am waiting on spares from kim just now,but they are great for advice,and the pdf workshop manual etc,tel07733004710,or kim@danequip.co   hope u get it sorted out mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Iwanp said:

Hi, hope someone can help me out. We have a kwikchip 160, its been working fine for a while.

recently been having problems with the drive engaging lever. Noticed the bracket had bent so roller wasn't in line with sump guard when in drive. Am I right in thinking its the drive belts that hold the enging up when in drive?

fitted new drive belts and after 10 minutes work all 3 belts came off. They did have good tension when in drive. 

Do the drive pulleys need to be 100% aligned to each other? How can you adjust alignement ? Searched all over for a manual with no luck.

Any info anybody has on this machine would be much appreciated!

TIA

I'm not really following the 'bent bracket' bit, and only have experience of the 222 but...

 

On the 222 the engine sits on a plate hinged on one side (parallel to the long axis of the chassis).

 

To engage the cutting wheel you have to lower the plate, on a cam attached to the 'clutch lever' - which then tensions the belts between the cutting wheel and engine. Everything should be reasonably in line. If it's throwing belts it's either out of alignment or the belts are so worn that they have stretched. With the engine OFF you can get an idea of the belt tension - a rule of thumb on most belts is that you shouldn't be able to twist them much more than a half turn at the mid point between pulleys.

 

If the belts are correctly tensioned, then look at alignment. It's a while since I worked on a 222 but IIRC there may be some adjustment between the engine and the hinged plate itself. I think that the plate hinges are fixed in position (non-adjustable) but the engine can be moved around a bit on the plate itself.

 

I think that there may be some adjustment on the 'engagement cam' itself, but just can't remember at the moment.

 

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by Gary Prentice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its the drive engaging lever's bracket thats bent, but can be fixed no problem.

I'll need to try and find where to adjust the engine to line them up better. Tried brand new belts and they came off after 10 minutes.

I'll try and get photos might explain it better. 

Thank for your reply 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, struie said:

hi iwanp,give kim sparks a phone at danequip,they have kwikchip now,i have the 160,albeit i am waiting on spares from kim just now,but they are great for advice,and the pdf workshop manual etc,tel07733004710,or kim@danequip.co   hope u get it sorted out mate.

Thats great, I'll try and get hold of them next week. 

hoping its not a big problem as its not had that much use since we bought it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ideally, belt pulleys do need to be as near as dammit, in line. Sounds like the engine cradle mounting is  out of alignment, possibly because the hinges are knackered. Is there anything that you can use as a reference between the cradle and the chassis? Is the pivot points okay? Hinge bolts present?

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Ideally, belt pulleys do need to be as near as dammit, in line. Sounds like the engine cradle mounting is  out of alignment, possibly because the hinges are knackered. Is there anything that you can use as a reference between the cradle and the chassis? Is the pivot points okay? Hinge bolts present?

 

 

Would the gap from chassis to the cradle need to be the same at both  hinges? I will measure it tomorrow. Both hinge bolts are present with no play. Jacked up the cradle to check for any play movement but was solid.

Sorry to sound dumb, but by pivot point, would you mean the lever to lower the cradle to engage the drive belt? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Iwanp said:

Thats great, I'll try and get hold of them next week. 

hoping its not a big problem as its not had that much use since we bought it

no probs iwanp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a quick inspection today, we set the chassis level, as can be seen in one photo, the other photos show the cutting head side out of level. And the pulley on the cutting head side out of level. Might need to check if this has dropped at the back. 

Anyone experienced anything similar?

thanks for all the help so far guys

 

IMG_1202.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Iwanp said:

Had a quick inspection today, we set the chassis level, as can be seen in one photo, the other photos show the cutting head side out of level. And the pulley on the cutting head side out of level. Might need to check if this has dropped at the back. 

Anyone experienced anything similar?

thanks for all the help so far guys

 

IMG_1202.JPG

IMG_1206.thumb.JPG.5b049c1176073084e66e4b917bbcb488.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.