Land Cruiser 70 series.

benedmonds

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

If I was to buy a vanity, ill advised, ‘look at me’ pick up it would be a yankee effort.

A mate of mine had one of these for a while, bloody lovely!

0A913ECC-2E35-4916-A503-D337FD8E9B77.jpeg

Why would it be a vanity look at me pick up??, I’ve a workmate who has a business running RIB tours he has a couple of wildtrack 3.2s and a 5.9 Cummins engined LHD “Yankee effort” he’s had tons of issues with both rangers neither one of which has past 100k yet the Ram has done nearly 200k in his hands most of which has been towing and has never ever  missed a beat. If anything the current crop of higher spec jazzed up pick ups including wildtrack models etc are marketed as more of a lifestyle look at me type truck than a genuine workhorse. If I could get one in RHD I’d have one tomorrow. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Why would it be a vanity look at me pick up??, I’ve a workmate who has a business running RIB tours he has a couple of wildtrack 3.2s and a 5.9 Cummins engined LHD “Yankee effort” he’s had tons of issues with both rangers neither one of which has past 100k yet the Ram has done nearly 200k in his hands most of which has been towing and has never ever  missed a beat. If anything the current crop of higher spec jazzed up pick ups including wildtrack models etc are marketed as more of a lifestyle look at me type truck than a genuine workhorse. If I could get one in RHD I’d have one tomorrow. 

From a business pov.

The  3 Rangers I’ve had over the last ten or so years have been reliable, one problem on the old one, fixed two months before the end of the guarantee.

If something does go wrong there’s a franchise full of mechanics and plug ins to fix it with available spares.

The yankee Ford my mate had developed a gearbox fault and no garage would touch it.

I would like one, my wife even sanctioned it! But I’m scared of getting deep into a nightmare ownership scenario.

A couple of months ago I was driving along and one of those Dodges filled my rear view mirror coming up to a dual carriage way, clearly looking to put me in my place.

I slipped my twin turbo into sport mode and waited till we got to the carriage way and floored it.

He was 100 mètres ahead of me in about 5 seconds! Completely blew me away, you had to laugh really.

Yes… maybe I will get one.

Just checked price €140k!

Not going to happen.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

From a business pov.

The  3 Rangers I’ve had over the last ten or so years have been reliable, one problem on the old one, fixed two months before the end of the guarantee.

If something does go wrong there’s a franchise full of mechanics and plug ins to fix it with available spares.

The yankee Ford my mate had developed a gearbox fault and no garage would touch it.

I would like one, my wife even sanctioned it! But I’m scared of getting deep into a nightmare ownership scenario.

A couple of months ago I was driving along and one of those Dodges filled my rear view mirror coming up to a dual carriage way, clearly looking to put me in my place.

I slipped my twin turbo into sport mode and waited till we got to the carriage way and floored it.

He was 100 mètres ahead of me in about 5 seconds! Completely blew me away, you had to laugh really.

Yes… maybe I will get one.

Just checked price €140k!

Not going to happen.

Well you’ve been icky with the Rangers I’d say, I’m on my second 3.2 wildtrack and both have been in way way too much for my liking. The current one has had the chassis swapped as part of that scheme and is due back in as it’s lit up on the dash like a Xmas tree again. There’s a 69 plate3.2 wildtrack just gone into the ferry this morning at Lochmaddy on a trailer to Inverness with a fully lit up dash too and the engine in no  start mode. 140k 😳😳maybe the top of the range dually 4wd monsters but if anyone is daft enough to pay it I guess they will take it. Couple of examples on eBay at either end of scale but going the personal import route would drastically reduce that cost if you were serious. Plenty others out there for sensible money. Anyway no rhd so im goosed. 

It’s just a shame we don’t have a tough as old boots grunty simple  graft type of pick up option in UK anymore. 

9C2F6E33-3984-42A4-ADEA-AC761AED48C9.png

05F7CBDA-780B-408F-BCE2-48846FC3AD5E.png

Edited by Johnsond