Land Cruiser 70 series.

benedmonds

20 hours ago, scraggs said:

They are only available in LHD new
I keep toying with the idea but doubt I could get on with a LHD towing all day

What is the practicality, and indeed legality, of simply rigging quality cameras, one viewing forward, one viewing backwards, on the outside of the  offside mirror, to feed Hi-def images to a screen or screens in the drivers sight, to allow for safe overtaking.

Even with "expensive" cameras and screens, a whole lot cheaper than  a LHD-to-RHD conversation surely.

I had toyed with this notion when pondering importing a LHD "G" Wagen.

Just thinking?

Do some of the Supercars not now use camera technology instead of mirrors?

So it should be OK, yes?

mth

Edited by difflock

16 minutes ago, difflock said:

What is the practicality, and indeed legality, of simply rigging quality cameras, one viewing forward, one viewing backwards, on the outside of the  offside mirror, to feed Hi-def images to a screen or screens in the drivers sight, to allow for safe overtaking.

Even with "expensive" cameras and screens, a whole lot cheaper than  aLHD-to-RHD conversation surely.

Just thinking?

So it should be OK, yes?

mth

i believe they do.  I'd happily buy a LHD vehicle for use in the UK and kit it out with a camera.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wicklamulla said:

... I'd happily buy a LHD vehicle for use in the UK and kit it out with a camera.

I would find that very confusing.. It's bad enough having the indicator and wiper stalks on the wrong side, like I do in our Hyundai. I nearly always pick the wrong side.... whatever I am driving...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

I would find that very confusing.. It's bad enough having the indicator and wiper stalks on the wrong side, like I do in our Hyundai. I nearly always pick the wrong side.... whatever I am driving...

Every body knows that fast wipe when its not raining means turning right ?

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, benedmonds said:

some cameras have a 'mirroring function' which reverts the viewed image to be 'the right way around' so as to make it easier to interpret.  My Jap pickup truck and her Hyundai have the wipers/winkers  at odds to one another,  then  throw in the Transit into the mix and it makes for an interesting first few miles of any journey till i figure it all out!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, difflock said:

Even with "expensive" cameras and screens, a whole lot cheaper than  a LHD-to-RHD conversation surely.

Just thinking?

So it should be OK, yes?

mth

I had thought of that, it is an option but not sure how well I would get on with it.
Over taking doesn't bother me as I rarely get a chance loaded at GTW, I was more concerned with the general feeling of being in the hedge :)
A new LHD isn't that much more than that one on ebay.

Edited by scraggs

In respect of my LHD "G" Wagen import ponderings, the beauty with the "G" Wagen is the superb all round visibility, in part due to the high and upright seating, but mostly due to the acres of all-round vertical/near vertical glazing.

Entering roundabouts would be my biggest concern, but then on reflection I took a UK car to Europe more than once a year for many years, and negiotated there kitter-fisted roundabouts with nary a care in the world!

mth

1 hour ago, Alex O said:

There every where over here, you can take your pick from a single cab, double cab, tippers, flatbed,the conversions I’m seeing are amazing, basically any thing you want can be made there no such thing as I can’t here. Plus the steering wheel in on the right side.

"here" being  .  .  . where?

and what everywhere MB or Toyota?

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1