Log Saw Horse Recommendations Please

Witterings

The Truncators are quite good, especially if you've got a lot of smaller diameter wood. Pricey new, but I picked up an unused one on ebay for £25 and it's handy to have. Chop wood, saw horse retains it, pour each "cup" of logs into wheelbarrow, off to polytunnel.

I also have one of the basic metal ones from Toolstation, but I've eventually managed to snap the little metal strap that holds the legs closed by dumping one or two too heavy logs on to it. (It's also a thin, flimsy bit of metal). Still works though.

On 23/11/2019 at 07:20, Billhook said:

I have found this one to be very useful, especially for cutting a load of smaller branches as well as a few larger ones.

The price seems to vary a lot from the mid £thirties to £ seventies so you need to shop around

WWW.MANOMANO.CO.UK

IN STOCK: best prices on Black Powder-Coated Saw Horse for Woodworking - choose between 13 Saw horse

Agree making one would possibly be best but I'm just all DIY'd out at the moment ... it's all I've done for weeks with every spare moment I've had (finished the last of this batch last night) and fancy some me time for a while.

I found some unspent B'day money in a drawer so decided I'd spend a bit more as the reviews on the budget ones were't great

I did look this one and whilst there weren't complaints on how it worked there were lots saying incredibly hard to assemble with poor / non-existent instructions ..... how did you find it hard / easy???

Looked at the £20 Screwfix one and was tempted but the metal bar the whole length put me off in the end.

I've also been looking at the Draper / Forest Master ones but their reviews seem to be inconsistent especially between the 2 names with a high percentage of the Forest Master ones saying the teeth bent rendering it useless and all the Draper of the same had 4 / 5 ** recommendations .... there was one review where someone suggested the Forest Master was made to an inferior spec which I find hard to believe ... they're probably out of the same factory just painted in different colours.

If anyone's any experience with any of them any feedback would be really appreciated and have posted links to the ones I mean below.

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Forest Master Ltd Saw Horse, Orange: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Great prices on your favourite Gardening brands, and free delivery on eligible orders.

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Forest Master Ltd Sawhorse, Orange: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

3 minutes ago, Hiluxr said:

I'd certainly recommend the Truncator, if your cutting timber 6" diameter or less.

I do agree they look good just from watching the videos but at the moment a lot of the wood I have access to is more like

9 / 10" diameter .... would I fit one those in on it's own????

In the future I can see possibly having one system for bigger logs and one where you can load several smaller ones just because of the time saving to cut several together.

2 minutes ago, Witterings said:

I do agree they look good just from watching the videos but at the moment a lot of the wood I have access to is more like

9 / 10" diameter .... would I fit one those in on it's own????

In the future I can see possibly having one system for bigger logs and one where you can load several smaller ones just because of the time saving to cut several together.

I do split some of the bigger stuff first, the splitter takes up to 20".

Much bigger diameter than that just pushes the plastic cups out of shape.

Sometimes it's just best to cut the bigger stuff on the ground !

On 27/11/2019 at 13:33, Witterings said:

Agree making one would possibly be best but I'm just all DIY'd out at the moment ... it's all I've done for weeks with every spare moment I've had (finished the last of this batch last night) and fancy some me time for a while.

I found some unspent B'day money in a drawer so decided I'd spend a bit more as the reviews on the budget ones were't great

I did look this one and whilst there weren't complaints on how it worked there were lots saying incredibly hard to assemble with poor / non-existent instructions ..... how did you find it hard / easy???

Really very simple to assemble.

The four legs slip in to the main body and a knurled knob on each leg tightens them up

The vertical box sections just slide in and are held in position by gravity which makes it easy to take apart and put in a car boot

I would recommend a length of 2x6 slipped under the frame to protect the chain from the metal when you have cut through the logs.  I would think that it holds more logs than the Truncator

In the end I bought a Makita Smart Log Sawhorse which arrived yesterday and I tried out today and I have to say what a brilliant piece of kit.

I rang a seller as I'd seen such mixed reviews on the Draper ones and he instantly said they're made to "a budget" ... get the Makita as it's much better / stronger build quality and whislt I've not seen the Drapers I'm really pleased with what I've got, how easy it makes it and I think is much safer than having to try and cut them on the ground which ws my biggest priority!

Edited by Witterings