stihl polesaw, batt vs petrol

carlos

I have a Husky battery polesaw and have never once wished it was petrol.  With 50 mins cutting time per charge I've never run the battery flat either.

Using the battery version makes you realise how little of the engine run time would be used actually cutting.

If you're going to be using the tool a lot buy an extra battery.  You won't miss the noise, the smell or the refuelling.  You do have to make a positive effort to remember to re-oil though.

All that said I have no idea about the Stihl polesaws!

• Like 1

The stihl battery one is lighter overall but because the motor is in the head it feels more top heavy on full extension. I had one on hire from my stihl dealer when mine (petrol) was in for repair because an idiot bent the.shaft.

I thought it was a good tool. Plenty of power. No vibration. The lack of noise is nice too. You can also plug in the big backpack battery, meaning you could use it all day, if you're into that sort of thing! 

The only thing I'd think on the battery one is if you're carrying it on the roof, will it get wet?

cool thanks for the feedback, the battery one sounds better  in  a lot of ways , good to hear it had the power although with the motor in the head might take away from the overall weight saving over the petrol model.

good point about the rain on the roof.

thanks for the feedback guys.

I have the husky battery one and like it.

i keep an Aldismarine bag on it to keep it dry when not in use.

its nicely balanced with the 120 battery, a bit heavy with the big 130.

it did get very wet once and stopped working for two days but fine since.

i haven’t used the stihl one.

id say a polesaw is the most tool that gives you exhaust burns on your hi-viz and fumes towards you so battery one a lot less horrible 

One thing I will add if going for the battery version.... 

Don't forget to top up your chain oil! It is very easy to forget as you don't ever reach for a combi can as it does take petrol. I've known them be ran dry of oil on a few occasions, so try and get into the habit of always checking!