What Do Arborists Do With Cut Down Wood

Witterings

1 hour ago, Con said:

I had someone accuse me of ripping him off once. He asked for some free wood, I dropped off a few lengths of sycamore and he said I'd dumped my rubbish in his garden ?

I thought that was quite funny and summarises the "some people" quote ?

I was asking as I didn't want to "upset" anyone by saying the wrong thing, I'd certainly go and pick up some uncut / unseasoned hardwood from a job / their yard and would happily pay beer money + for it.

The house we live in the main living room is a badly insulated extension from years back so our heating bill is horrendous and whilst  we've had the log burner fitting because we love them (would use it every night out of choice) and have bought a seasoned / cut load of logs, unless I can get the cost of logs down it'll cost more than the heating.

I have a chainsaw and was going to go scavaging for fallen trees but the more I read if they've been lying on the ground for a while and are damp they won't burn well even if they are seasoned.

Cheers for eveyone's input .... really appreciated!!! ??  

Edited by Witterings
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Witterings said:

I thought that was quite funny and summarises the "some people" quote ?

I was asking as I didn't want to "upset" anyone by saying the wrong thing, I'd certainly go and pick up some uncut / unseasoned hardwood from a job / their yard and would happily pay beer money + for it.

The house we live in the main living room is a badly insulated extension from years back so our heating bill is horrendous and whilst  we've had the log burner fitting because we love them (would use it every night out of choice) and have bought a seasoned / cut load of logs, unless I can get the cost of logs down it'll cost more than the heating.

I have a chainsaw and was going to go scavaging for fallen trees but the more I read if they've been lying on the ground for a while and are damp they won't burn well even if they are seasoned.

Cheers for eveyone's input .... really appreciated!!! ??  

What are of the uk are you and someone on here may have some ?

8 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

What are of the uk are you and someone on here may have some ?

I'm South of Chichester right near the coast in The Witterings which is the PO20 area ... don't mind travelling a bit to pick up, have a Zafira and could test it's weight handling limit ?

Never forget the back of my old Fiesta 18 years ago with the whole back end swaying on the bends with the weight of foraged logs in the back!! ?

3 hours ago, Con said:

I had someone accuse me of ripping him off once. He asked for some free wood, I dropped off a few lengths of sycamore and he said I'd dumped my rubbish in his garden ?

Had a simular thing myself a few years ago, it was at a time when yard and building was full of wood, anyway we went and did a job 1 lime 1 cherry and 2 small birch, A few weeks before i had been asked by someone for some cheap wood so a couple of days before we was to do the job i rang this guy explained what it was and there would be a cabstar pickup and ifor tipping trailer full a price of £80 was agreed ,cash left in a bag under the bin, went tipped off collected cash and home, gets a phone call about 6pm with this guy going mad that i had tipped it in the wrong place he wanted it through the car port to the top of his drive and he could only get one car on the drive, i just said calmly ok i will come back and help him move it so we loaded it up and he said i want it here,so i asked him who was repairing car port after i had destroyed it as truck and trailer wont go under, i just looked at him gave him his cash back and said that i will go and turn the timber in to £600 jumped in truck and left, 18 month later i am delivering 2 bags of the said logs next door but 1 to where i tipped the timber off originally, and this guy was telling me that no one in the street bothered with him as he was one of them that was never happy and moaned about every one in the street, happy days,

Edited by spuddog0507
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Had a simular thing myself a few years ago, it was at a time when yard and building was full of wood, anyway we went and did a job 1 lime 1 cherry and 2 small birch, A few weeks before i had been asked by someone for some cheap wood so a couple of days before we was to do the job i rang this guy explained what it was and there would be a cabstar pickup and ifor tipping trailer full a price of £80 was agreed ,cash left in a bag under the bin, went tipped off collected cash and home, gets a phone call about 6pm with this guy going mad that i had tipped it in the wrong place he wanted it through the car port to the top of his drive and he could only get one car on the drive, i just said calmly ok i will come back and help him move it so we loaded it up and he said i want it here,so i asked him who was repairing car port after i had destroyed it as truck and trailer wont go under, i just looked at him gave him his cash back and said that i will go and turn the timber in to £600 jumped in truck and left, 18 month later i am delivering 2 bags of the said logs next door but 1 to where i tipped the timber off originally, and this guy was telling me that no one in the street bothered with him as he was one of them that was never happy and moaned about every one in the street, happy days,

I would have told him to f off in no uncertain terms and i consider myself to be one very easy going guy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Witterings said:

I'm South of Chichester right near the coast in The Witterings which is the PO20 area ... don't mind travelling a bit to pick up, have a Zafira and could test it's weight handling limit ?

Never forget the back of my old Fiesta 18 years ago with the whole back end swaying on the bends with the weight of foraged logs in the back!! ?

Try Lilywhite saw mill in  Charlton. They sell off the " slab wood " bits cheap .  

Edited by Stubby