What Do Arborists Do With Cut Down Wood

Witterings

16 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Try Lilywhite saw mill in  Charlton. They sell off the " slab wood " bits cheap .  

Cheers .. I will do, it was them I got the seasoned cut logs from ... nearly bought a beautiful piece of Yew from them as well to cut and use as a lintel above the stove but it would have taken a year to dry so didn't in the end. 

A mate of mine has a van and picks up unseasoned from them and keeps them for a year but he doesn't have a chain saw.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, topchippyles said:

I would have told him to f off in no uncertain terms and i consider myself to be one very easy going guy

very good at biting my lip these days, mind you i have to be with some of the arseholes i have to work with, once over i would of just told him to F - - K off and left it but i so it as a very cheap load of timber and as some one has said, doing someone a favour, ?? every day is a school day no matter how old you are,,,

• Like 1

Can't say I advocate giving any wood away for free. Once it's free, it valueless, and the Joe public expect it all the time, and then don't buy seasoned logs from us, therefore supply and demand drops!

Also, log goblins are the worst for burning unseasoned wood, giving all stove owners a   bad name!

• Like 1

I drove pass some guys who were taking a big tree down probably horse chestnut. The rings were piled up in the road.. 

i stops and says to the guy, if you want to dump them closer than wherever you are taking them..them we could use them up the allotments and all the wood chip as well. 800mts away.

i never thought ,I’d here the reply I got,,, bear in mind.. how long it took to drive to where ever they were taking them man power time and fuel..

his reply was, we can sell them to you. ????. I replied what green wood your driving miles away, and a free dump site 800mts away. Carryon.

there was another big reduction going on of some poplar,,, I got 3 trannie loads.. of chip..that they would of (over loaded of course) had to drive 10miles away.. when I went back for more,, the reply was you’ve had enough ????

now all the organising of drop off etc, is a pita,,, which at the time I was willing to do.. it just goes to show times change and some guys want to milk a buck or two..

I know we are all different, you just have to find the right persons at the right time..

It all has a value, around here farmers buy chip for outwintering pads for cattle, some people use if as a weed suppressant on flowerbeds and clean chip has value as biomass. As for logs, unless the client wants it for firewood I bring it home, season it and process it. It brings in some money during spells of little work and poor weather. Some wood can be milled into dimensional boards, more into slabs for various more artistic uses etc.

I have given away timber off distant jobs where it's not viable to haul it back or when theres a lot of wood on a job, been given timber by others in the same situation too! on the other hand, I've knocked money off jobs to save millable wood from being wasted and gone on to turn those logs into saleable boards. 

I guess it's all relative to the job at the time. 

I'd rather process and deliver it than have unknowns rock up to the yard to collect it. 

• Like 2

I e-mailed a couple of local arborists to enquire about green wood and one response was that they use all theirs and the other was sure, if I'm coming past on the way home I'll dump it at yours for a bottle of wine (I offered to pay him but he prefers wine!).  He does garden work and small tree work.

I have now had a wood supply now for 3 years for the cost of a few bottles of wine a year and not had to invest in the trailer I was expecting to need for logs.  However, I'm not fussy what the wood is and as he also sells logs himself I get mostly softwood or the stuff that is not much fun to split.  In a way though I prefer mostly softwood as it dries so quickly and if you leave in in larger chunks then the burn time is acceptable plus it is easy to light.

Basically if you don't ask you don't get but you just have to ask in the right way.  "Got any free wood?" is probably not the right way.  "Got any free hardwood?" is certainly not the right way!

• Like 2