Jump to content
Witterings

What Do Arborists Do With Cut Down Wood

Recommended Posts

What do most Arborists do with the wood from cut down trees ... I'm guessing there's always going to be friends and family who have fires and wood stoves who'll take a certain amount of it but is the rest then sold to "log sellers" who then season it, chop it up and then resell it.

I did hear years ago they had to pay to dispose of it but that was probably before log burners were so in and there was less demand for it.

 

Just trying to work out what reception I'd get if I rang someone local and if I'd be doing them a favour taking some of it off their hands or if they earn out of it anyway??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Witterings said:

What do most Arborists do with the wood from cut down trees ... I'm guessing there's always going to be friends and family who have fires and wood stoves who'll take a certain amount of it but is the rest then sold to "log sellers" who then season it, chop it up and then resell it.

I did hear years ago they had to pay to dispose of it but that was probably before log burners were so in and there was less demand for it.

 

Just trying to work out what reception I'd get if I rang someone local and if I'd be doing them a favour taking some of it off their hands or if they earn out of it anyway??

Its sold for firewood and they do not give it for free 😅

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a variety of ways of dealing with logs from jobs, sell some, swap some, etc. If you are happy to take softwood then you should be able to find someone who can supply you. If you are only after hardwood cut up to firewood size then don't expect that for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want a free supply you must not be picky . All wood burns when seasoned . Pop , Connie , Willow etc etc . Check out the thread " Log Goblins " 🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try them. They may offer you unprocessed wood, which you can pick up from their yard, for beer money. 

If you want dried processed wood, you are going to have to pay. A good deal of time and effort has gone in to get it to that stage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Con said:

Try them. They may offer you unprocessed wood, which you can pick up from their yard, for beer money. 

If you want dried processed wood, you are going to have to pay. A good deal of time and effort has gone in to get it to that stage

.....answers my question too. I thought it was made in a log factory - rather like a  biscuit factory  ? 😊 k

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Khriss said:

.....answers my question too. I thought it was made in a log factory - rather like a  biscuit factory  ? 😊 k

I had someone accuse me of ripping him off once. He asked for some free wood, I dropped off a few lengths of sycamore and he said I'd dumped my rubbish in his garden 😂

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.