reusable break away strop

wicklamulla

I think what Stevie is getting at is that you shouldn’t be putting yourself in that position.

I’d be picking the place to fell it where it did least damage, and if they didn’t like that idea I’d proceed on to the next job.

No climber owes his life to some prick who lets his trees get so dead and crispy they can’t be climbed.

• Like 4

Using zip ties with no idea of breaking strains is just stupid.

If you need to get out of a situation in an uncontrolled swing, then you haven’t done the task in hand right.

Either stay where you are securely and knock that top out confidently or don’t.

Marks right, someone poor management isn’t worth your life.

Or buy a rip chord device that’s designed for the job if 1 exists!

Zip ties ?!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

Using zip ties with no idea of breaking strains is just stupid.

If you need to get out of a situation in an uncontrolled swing, then you haven’t done the task in hand right.

Either stay where you are securely and knock that top out confidently or don’t.

Marks right, someone poor management isn’t worth your life.

Or buy a rip chord device that’s designed for the job if 1 exists!

Zip ties ?!

Doubt there's any device designed to break away under a certain load.

Personally I wouldn't bother, anchor into the good tree, strop into the bad one. It's nothing new, and trees don't tend to fall over as soon as my 10stone starts climbing them. 

When I can get a digger on site I'll be all over stevie for advice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Newton said:

Personally I wouldn't bother, anchor into the good tree, strop into the bad one. It's nothing new, and trees don't tend to fall over as soon as my 10stone starts climbing them. 

agreed on the zip ties as they do work for sure and Joe yer right as regards they do not tend to fall over once you are stropped in. I simply like the idea of having something that can be reused,  plus 'we all love these special bits of kit'!

3 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

You don’t want something that breaks under load, you want something that’s easier to undo than a 3 way carabiner.

When I started it was screw gates, when I was nervous and beginning my climbing career like yourself Joe and weighing 10 stone 2lb I just wouldn’t screw it up so I could quickly unclip.

I knew a 150kg screwgate held 15kg undone because a man in New Zealand on a 400’ abseil I was doing told me.

If it was really dodgey ( to me at the time )I would just clamp my legs and not bother with side strop, it was my inexperience that lead me to believe it was a good idea. 

Graeme McMahon ( I think ) made a rip chord break away 20 plus years ago and it was an epic tree of huge scale, it had a huge top that must of been damaged years before, so twice the girth of the trunk.

I reckon it was 6-8’ in diameter.  As the top went over he baled out above the bulge and swing down under to the thinner part of the trunk.

I think he was 150’ at least up too.

Mans at a different level!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

You don’t want something that breaks under load, you want something that’s easier to undo than a 3 way carabiner.

When I started it was screw gates, when I was nervous and beginning my climbing career like yourself Joe and weighing 10 stone 2lb I just wouldn’t screw it up so I could quickly unclip.

I knew a 150kg screwgate held 15kg undone because a man in New Zealand on a 400’ abseil I was doing told me.

If it was really dodgey ( to me at the time )I would just clamp my legs and not bother with side strop, it was my inexperience that lead me to believe it was a good idea. 

Graeme McMahon ( I think ) made a rip chord break away 20 plus years ago and it was an epic tree of huge scale, it had a huge top that must of been damaged years before, so twice the girth of the trunk.

I reckon it was 6-8’ in diameter.  As the top went over he baked out above the bulge and swing down under to the thinner part of the trunk.

I think he was 150’ at least up too.

Mans at a different level!

brilliant, but if something fails you will most likely not have the time to unclip so i'd rather something that will disconnect if/when it all 'goes wrong' as i do not want to be struggling with 200kg of wood hanging off my strop.  The clamping yer legs around the stem is a great idea and i do that from time to time.