Which Hilux tipper suspension upgrade?

lukey_loki

Hello all, I'm after a bit of advice...

I recently bought an already converted 2013 Toyota Hilux Extra Cab tipper.

I am extremely happy with it as it ticks all the boxes for my business.

However- the suspension has not been upgraded. This really isn't the end of the world as even with a full load of chip there's still a bit of space above the bump stops. The problem is handling and clearance. With a fair bit of weight on the back I've ground out the tow bar on a couple of steep driveways and a weigh bridge or two.

I gather there are a few options out there - extra leaf springs/airbag upgrade etc.

I don't want to stiffen the ride when unloaded... Are airbags the way to go?

Have you had your suspension upgraded?

What are the pros and cons and rough prices of each option?

Many thanks!

A friend of mine working for a powerline contractor has air suspension and curses them. Apparently teams have punctured them off road numerous times and are forever adjusting them.

Upgraded springs may make for a harder ride but once fitted job done. And it's a work vehicle after all!

We uprated the springs and shocks on our 2018 hilux. It made a difference but in the end we fitted airbags aswell. Had them for about a year with no problems and it drives a lot better when loaded.The company that supplied them was pedders suspension. If there’s no weight in the back we deflate the bags and the ride is soft again.

12 hours ago, lukey_loki said:

Thank you guys for the advice. I like the sound of the extra leaves only working under load.

Yep . I put some " helper " springs on my last truck . They has greasable  Pins . They only came into work as the load went up .

• Like 1