3phase converter or generator wanted

gobbypunk

Hi guys ,just got a nice wide thicknesser so now need to power it so I thought I would ask on hear if anybody has something I can use , I don’t want to start changing things on it as electrics ain’t my thing I need a 6kva supply either a phase converter or genny ,looking around and they ain’t cheap so if anybody can help that would be ace, then hopefully I will have my mill ,thicknesser and kiln all up and running by the new year.

Thanks Mark 

• Like 1

6kVA is a man size for a converter, I had to buy a 3kVA one for my lathe and that was pricey enough. Not a fan of generators when there is a mains supply available but it sounds like like a 3 phase genny is the answer here, and it is not that big for a 3 phase genny. None on eBay?

I was lucky when I got an old Wadkin planer thickneser it was a rare single phase one, but I had to put in a 32A supply for it. I have only recently got it working as it was fairly gummed up so took a lot of cleaning and TLC to get it working right.

Good luck

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi guys ,just got a nice wide thicknesser so now need to power it so I thought I would ask on hear if anybody has something I can use , I don’t want to start changing things on it as electrics ain’t my thing I need a 6kva supply either a phase converter or genny ,looking around and they ain’t cheap so if anybody can help that would be ace, then hopefully I will have my mill ,thicknesser and kiln all up and running by the new year.

Thanks Mark 

Id avoid the converters, A 6Kva  3 phase genny ain’t a big lump  of a thing and won’t eat much red at all. Might be worth keeping an eye out for an ex stby unit etc with low hrs. Having that on site will open up the opportunity for other 3 phase kit which can often be found for a lot less than the single phase equivalent. 

20 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi guys thanks for your input I think a genny is the way to go,so if anybody has one they don’t need please give me a shout 

Thanks Mark 

Mark i did explain that you need a 15 KVA converter to kick in a 6 KVA 3 phase machine as its 3 times the start up load if that makes sense 

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, topchippyles said:

Mark i did explain that you need a 15 KVA converter to kick in a 6 KVA 3 phase machine as its 3 times the start up load if that makes sense 

It makes for an interesting problem, we had this when we specified a genset for a classroom CHP some 20 years ago. For economy you want to run the generator at the sweetspot for its size, in our case it was reckoned to be 70% of its peak power but it had to supply a peak load, which meant we had to over size it, problem was that in constant use it meant the conversion efficiency dropped from 40% to 20%.

Then we used a synchronous generator, nowadays you would use an inverter generator but they tend to be too small for this use.

A way round would be for the alternator to be rated at 15kVA  and a smaller diesel engine with a massive flywheel.

My brother took a Ford Fiesta apart, turned the rear axle and brake assembly into a trailer,
Used the 1 litre Diesel engine coupled to a 3phase dynamo. Runs a portable 3ph plasma cutter and mig welder off it.
If you know a handy mechanic who knows 3ph
Might be cheaper than a bought one?
[emoji106]