Strimmer blade for cutting 1/2 inch

ChrisNewport

I'm looking for a strimmer blade to cut through a patch of self seeded black thorn upto about half an inch diameter. I've seen the tct blades from China but dont like the idea of using their stuff at 5000 rpm. Stihl do a couple but don't include the size bore in their description only what machines they fit. My machine takes 1 inch bores.

if it's only 1/2" dia stems the 4mm thick mulching blades are good - best on a more powerful brushcutter or clearing saw. I use FS490. Haven't tried one on my strimmer, maybe an FS130 or similar would just about have enough grunt. The great thing about mulching blades is the whole lot, brambles saplings is mashed up and just goes down flat and dissipates, usually no need to rake and burn or tip. Mind your eyes and teeth, there is a special guard for mulching with the clearing saws, but I've worked on low revs and risked it without. Hit a hidden object and blood and guts everywhere. Like the farmers who died flailing hedges. Much safer accepting less money and flipping burgers

1717252346_Screenshot-2019-11-13UniversalMulchingBrushcutterAndClearingBlade2Tooth4mmCenterHoleRedeBay.thumb.png.4b0ea6ed0dad8bfafd5b4316b6bb3d9f.png

• Like 2

I wouldn't use a TCT circular saw blade - they're not designed to run at the the speed of a brush cutter and I've seen reports of them shattering. If you hit rocks or debris the tct teeth may well break off too.

A Stihl Scrather blade will get through 1/2" without a problem (they'll cut much thicker). Ideally you'll change to a clearing saw guard as well.
The bore is  the bore is 25.4mm according to 

WWW.LSENGINEERS.CO.UK

Scratcher Tooth Circular Saw Blade 200mm, 80 Teeth, 25.4mm Hole Genuine Stihl Part OEM Part No. 4112 713 4201

9 hours ago, DuncanH said:

I wouldn't use a TCT circular saw blade - they're not designed to run at the the speed of a brush cutter and I've seen reports of them shattering. If you hit rocks or debris the tct teeth may well break off too.

I agree and I prefer something that can be sharpened in the field, which is why I like maxi blades as they sharpen just like a chainsaw. The triblade will cut 1/3" but a sawblade is much easier on the gearbox.