In a bit of a pickle. Looking for similar experiences. And possible legal advice

joshuatree

This looks like one of those mass produced ugly concrete sectional garages they are often on ebay etc being advertised for free and usually worthless  .have you typed into ebay fibre :cement ridge .there are several which look similar which could  do the job

the landlord is probably aware the old roof is likely to be asbestos so trying to take advantage  .if possible get a neat repair over the broken section with a good overlap .also 3 inch sheets with the same profile available on ebay 

I don't think he's trying to take advantage either, but you need to clarify with him what he will accept as a satisfactory outcome. Repair/replace or new roof.

Looks like the old cement boards to me, which did contain low level asbestos, the newer ones don't,  but are a different gauge. 

If he is happy for you to repair it, take a piece of the broken one to a local roofer. They are replacing this type of roof all the time. I'm sure they would be able to help. You might get lucky at your local industrial estate. There's a derelict unit near us, probably 60sq m of the stuff sitting there 

To me, just put a new metal ridge over the top of the old, along the whole length of the roof ie a few more metres of what the roofer has done?

Or maybe ask the landlord if they want a nice new box profile roof, and you will chip in a few quid. Most of the cost would be in the disposal, which he can organise.

Hi all

Wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation or can offer some advice. 

My guys were on a job a few weeks ago. Reducing a few trees in a back garden you know the score.

One of the trees was over a garage roof. Reduced the tree, everything went well with no damage despite it pouring with rain. Upon cleaning the roof of the garage and whilst still roped into the tree the climber accidentally put his foot through 1 of the corrugated ridge tiles. 

Unfortunately underneath, the tenant of the property had his Suzuki. That got dented slightly. Which I've sorted out to get fixed.

The issue lies in the fact that no one makes 3 inch corrugated cement fibre ridge tiles/sheets. I've searched hi and low. 

I got a roofer to come and have a look who told me he cant get the same material. I said can he get something similar and he suggested metal. I assumed he would also go corrugated but you know what they say about assuming. 

The roofer has replaced it with a flat sheet of metal. And both the tenant and landlord/client aren't happy. 

This is fine I've said we can look for alternatives. Or paint the metal and disguise with fake moss or something. Sounds silly I know. I'll post some photos. And I figured that at least the hole was covered from the elements. 

Where I've gone wrong and I hold my hands up, Is that I didn't let the landlord know it would be a different material just the tenant. Who said he didn't care at the time.

After a few back and forth with the landlord. All amicable so far. And after countless times and Ebay links telling him no one makes the 3 inch profile ridge sheets. He has now said he would accept a different material as long as the whole ridge is uniform. And that I should be using my insurance. 

I'm not sure my insurance would cover this as its technically only one sheet that's damaged. And I'm not really prepared to pay for a whole new roof ridge. 

The repair even if I admit isnt the prettiest. Is secure and giving  protection from the elements. Theres no safety issues regarding the structural integrity of the rest of the roof or garage. And it's not exactly like we've put a tree through a Georgian manor house.

Sorry for the long one and if you can help I appreciate your time. Just wondered if anyone could give some examples of situations they've experienced similar to them. Or if anyone has a 3inch corrugated ridge tile going that'd be great too[emoji28]

Photos of damage and repair below.

Thanks 

Josh

20191106_145857.thumb.jpg.6091e9bd21e558b3ad5e365fade11207.jpg

20191106_145509.thumb.jpg.b4f1f7f6ea44b8b502ce37925fc8e690.jpg

20191106_142904.thumb.jpg.aa885ee763c433fb87bc5bfdf4386052.jpg

20191106_142858.thumb.jpg.ca150f34ee89eb7bb966c1a71aaede68.jpg

20191018_164502.thumb.jpg.e0dff25431ea0ad819ab4ca7f5c7e30d.jpg

20191018_164458.thumb.jpg.ca0f46c1c3617ed162e9757f18a80971.jpg

20191106_145859.thumb.jpg.aa50853b87b7d300862334f5a6a1e5ff.jpg

20191106_145910.thumb.jpg.a6afbcd9b7fa68cfd695ced0ce1fd62d.jpg

20191106_142841.thumb.jpg.2668ab9b86c0c1112315c00e5521eb57.jpg

20191106_142805.thumb.jpg.f360676bd601758dcbb92666e527a199.jpg

If you still have the broken bits. The undersides will be as new bar some discolouration. Buy a tin of P40 fibreglass repair paste. Available from most motor factors/Halfords or B&Q. Reassemble the broken pieces upside down and prop them up so they are in place. Mix up an appropriate amount of the fibreglass and hardener. Apply to rear of assembled roof tile. After 10 minutes flip over and apply a smaller amount between cracks to ensure water/frost doesn’t get in. Refit to roof and chuck some moss over it. Cost approx £15 + time. Job done.

On 13/11/2019 at 21:34, scbk said:

Or maybe ask the landlord if they want a nice new box profile roof, and you will chip in a few quid. Most of the cost would be in the disposal, which he can organise.

Why should the landlord pay anything? Or indeed organise anything? 
The OP broke it, so the onus is on him to finance and organise a solution.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Long thread, not sure if this has been said but with tree work over fences, old greenhouses, garages, garden pools even houses it is a good idea to have dated photograph of the `before work commenced` situation to stop  later arguments  about the condition of these items. It is helpful if you are passing on a claim to your insurers.

• Like 1

On 13/11/2019 at 16:24, openspaceman said:

Technically the same is true of a car battery, you may drive down to the motor factors and let them change the battery and keep the old one but if you take the new battery to your yard to fit you may not legally take it to the tip

Batteries go to the scrapyard, I took some up just to get rid and got £40 for them. I think I would put some Onduline bitumen ridge over the top of what is already there after scraping the moss off, do the whole length for not too much money.

Edited by peatff