Ash Dieback Job

Hi All

Recently went to look at a wood for a customer who has around 3.5 acres of woodland. Around 80% of the wood is Ash, which is pretty much all diseased. 

The chap wants it to be low impact as well as not being to costly. 

What would you guys recommend the best way to tackle this?  Day rate for couple of guys Felling and burning/chipping brash? 

Equipment wise I only have a fordson major tractor and quad bike. 

I was thinking perhaps a couple of guys Felling and chipping brash, then leaving cord where its cut, then at the end of it hire in a tractor and timber trailer off a local farmer I know to shift the cord to roadside. 

Look forward to hearing your thoughts 

Liam 

Screenshot_20191109_175314_com.whatsapp.jpg

Obviously low impact he is meaning minimum damage to any other surrounding trees and or ground cover???? So Felling is an option I guess but only if you are that good you can put a fag packet down and fell the tree on it.

or get an helicopter to lift out the whole stem off a snap cut,but unrealistic really and pulling your leg as not cost affective.

you could climb each tree and reduce down to 10/15 ft then fell in a safe and controlled manner,but are the trees climbable????

26 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

Obviously low impact he is meaning minimum damage to any other surrounding trees and or ground cover???? So Felling is an option I guess but only if you are that good you can put a fag packet down and fell the tree on it.

or get an helicopter to lift out the whole stem off a snap cut,but unrealistic really and pulling your leg as not cost affective.

you could climb each tree and reduce down to 10/15 ft then fell in a safe and controlled manner,but are the trees climbable????

His terms of low impact is not heavy machines that will turn the ground to crap and lots of ruts etc I think 

9 minutes ago, Lfservices said:

His terms of low impact is not heavy machines that will turn the ground to crap and lots of ruts etc I think 

Arrrr better now exsplained,how bout fell,cut,stack and leave till ground drys out April/May/June/ unless he what’s the cord moved as soon as hits the ground?

5 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

Arrrr better now exsplained,how bout fell,cut,stack and leave till ground drys out April/May/June/ unless he what’s the cord moved as soon as hits the ground?

Yeah I'm thinking couple of guys per day. Fell, cut to length stack cord and burn or chip waste as we go then like you say move timber in summer 

4 minutes ago, Lfservices said:

Yeah I'm thinking couple of guys per day. Fell, cut to length stack cord and burn or chip waste as we go then like you say move timber in summer 

first of all forget chipping brash in a woodland enviroment, if the trees are dead as you say the brash will shatter when the tree hits the ground and you will have very little brash to deal with, and what is on the floor just leave it to go back in to the ground for new growth to flureish on 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

first of all forget chipping brash in a woodland enviroment, if the trees are dead as you say the brash will shatter when the tree hits the ground and you will have very little brash to deal with, and what is on the floor just leave it to go back in to the ground for new growth to flureish on 

Yes and similar can be said for burning, it causes more damage than it's worth.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Cheers. I'd probably ideally want to stack brash a bit to make it safer/easier to work? 

U won't have to be that clever felling either, if 80% off trees coming out u should have loads of room for felling.

Before u crosscut it figure out ur extraction method first, even if at a later date.

Bloody pain skidding timber out if been cross cut already, far easier if long pole.

Dunno how many stems ur talking on ur site but even skidding out with quad might be vaible if not too long an extraction

• Like 3