Chainsaw For Logging Recommendations Please

Witterings

10 hours ago, doobin said:

Just bung in some fuel stabiliser when you park it up. Aspen is way too expensive unless you want it for the health benefits I guess 

where in the country are you? 

Do you just use any fuel stabiliser .... I can imagine I'll get it out and cut up a large amount in 2 days and then not use it for quite a few weeks and have been concerned about as from the little I know I realise it's not ideal.

Do you just add in a small amount to what's left in the fuel tank and then just use it as normal the next time you start it up??

Echo leaf blowers are great but I like my saws to have very good build quality, so that rules out echo for me.

agree about newer Stihl being weaker than they were a point well illustrated by my 064 up against the 660

Edited by 038AV

13 hours ago, Witterings said:

Do you just use any fuel stabiliser .... I can imagine I'll get it out and cut up a large amount in 2 days and then not use it for quite a few weeks and have been concerned about as from the little I know I realise it's not ideal.

I would suggest Aspen 2 stroke as well, the Echo 352 has a .25l tank, so you'll be spending £20 for 20 tanks and that's a fair bit of firewood.

Bit late it seems, but I needed a homeowner saw about 10 years ago, and stumbled across a Spear & Jackson(!) chainsaw on eBay for £75 or so. Obviously it's cheap and Chinese, but it's served me well those ten years, cutting probably 3 or 4 M3 of logs on average per year. I sharpen the chain when it needs it and empty it of fuel (idle away the dregs) before putting away, and not had to replace any parts of it, touch wood.

25 minutes ago, Witterings said:

Doesn't that cause the diaphragm to dry out rendering it useless ???????

The diaphragm has a coating on it to keep it supple . Pump fuel will remove that coating but at the same time keep the diaphragm supple because it is very slowly dissolving it . Alkelite fuels such as Aspen , Motomix and the Husqvarna one don't remove that coating . So using an alkelite fuel from the get go will leave you with no problems in that area . switching to an alkelite fuel when a saw has been using pump fuel for a long time will show up problems caused by the pump fuel . And yes they can become brittle if left to dry out after using pump fuel .

On 14/11/2019 at 12:57, sandspider said:

Bit late it seems, but I needed a homeowner saw about 10 years ago, and stumbled across a Spear & Jackson(!) chainsaw on eBay for £75 or so. Obviously it's cheap and Chinese, but it's served me well those ten years, cutting probably 3 or 4 M3 of logs on average per year. I sharpen the chain when it needs it and empty it of fuel (idle away the dregs) before putting away, and not had to replace any parts of it, touch wood.

I had a little 40cc Mittox saw that cost about £100 new and ran it for about 10 years. Dropped it in the river twice and just dried it in the airing cupboard and it came back to life twice. Just kept it clean and sharp and it owed me nothing when I sold it on to a chap needing a wee saw to use for pruning, even got £20 for it. Maybe I was just luck, but if you keep you kit clean and sharp it does seem to last. 

Most important is sharp as a dull chain will mean extra stress on the saw.