Chainsaw For Logging Recommendations Please

Witterings

4 minutes ago, Witterings said:

Would it be much better than the 135 ... if so any idea why??

Dont know if its any better than 135,not had one,but have had a couple 435s and have no complaints for a small saw but if you want something to last and plenty power not too big a 55o xp would be good but maybe a bit over budget

i would of thought any of the small stihls, huskys or echos will be fine for your needs, get it from a friendly local dealer , try and keep the chain sharp and get the fuel mix right. no need to get a full blown pro saw unless you have money to burn.

carl

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Witterings said:

I haven't set a budget as buy cheap buy twice ... that said I'm not about to start felling trees for a living just want something good and reliable .... I wouldn't have thought for my purposes I'd need to go over £250 but if I can get away with less and it's decent would go for that.

For that budget I would suggest the Makita ea4300 over the 135 or 181, can pick it up for £235 (plus spare chain) from Fastfix.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lucan said:

For that budget I would suggest the Makita ea4300 over the 135 or 181, can pick it up for £235 (plus spare chain) from Fastfix.

I'm awfully tempted to hit the buy button on the Makita ... are they generally considered better / more reliable, easier to service / get parts for than the 135 / 181 ????? In essence why would they be considered better.

If anybody else has any input / opinions on the Makita would be appreciated as well ... I just don't want to get into a situation like the McCulloch where all it needs is a new diaphragm but you can't buy that on it's own and have to buy a whole new carb. 

Cheers for EVERYONE's input ... it's really appreciated!!

20 minutes ago, Witterings said:

I'm awfully tempted to hit the buy button on the Makita ... are they generally considered better / more reliable, easier to service / get parts for than the 135 / 181 ????? In essence why would they be considered better.

If anybody else has any input / opinions on the Makita would be appreciated as well ... I just don't want to get into a situation like the McCulloch where all it needs is a new diaphragm but you can't buy that on it's own and have to buy a whole new carb. 

Cheers for EVERYONE's input ... it's really appreciated!!

Whats tempting you to you buy the Makita over the others?whos your nearest dealer for getting spares?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Whats tempting you to you buy the Makita over the others?whos your nearest dealer for getting spares?

Only because I looked up some reviews and there seemed to be quite a lot of positive comments from people who'd also owned the "lower end" Huskys and Stihls and as I'm not an area I'm knowledgeable in can only be guided by others. 

Do you have any suggestions for anything else around the same cost that would widely be considered as better and if so what might the reasoning be ..... is it mainly based on availability of parts??

Way back in 1997 I bought myself a chainsaw, for essentially only firewood needs.

I was totally bamboozled by the pelethora of different Husky's at a very good reasonably local main distributorship, so looked towards Stihl, from a closer dealer.

After agonising over power-to-weight ratios and the simple choice between a 026 or a 036, I picked the 026, the baby of the professional range.

22 years later the saw still does everything I need, I do not regret my choice, though way back then, I paid about £400.00 + VAT, which did akinda make my eyes bleed a little.

Apart from one glitch, where I ignored a "getting-worse" rattle during most of a working day, being focused on finishing a pile of logs with a hired in log splitter, I had assumed it to be a loose exhaust or something inconsequential, since the saw still ran fine, which blythe neglect cost me a barrel and piston, the saw has been absolutely faultless.

Regards,

Marcus

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Witterings said:

Only because I looked up some reviews and there seemed to be quite a lot of positive comments from people who'd also owned the "lower end" Huskys and Stihls and as I'm not an area I'm knowledgeable in can only be guided by others. 

Do you have any suggestions for anything else around the same cost that would widely be considered as better and if so what might the reasoning be ..... is it mainly based on availability of parts??

I cant comment on the Makita as not used one but as i said earlier i have had a couple Husky 435s and they are good little saws and parts are readily available but cant say they are any better because haven,t used Makita,whats your nearest dealer(husky,stihl,echo,makita?)