CSCS card for tree work?

SimpleSimon

I still fail to see how the ROLO ‘course’ is anything other than an expensive tax that could be replaced by an online card-check system (that granted wouldn’t earn the course providers their money-for-old-rope) that would negate the need to waste a day sending staff to jump through hoops. 

It’s all a massive load of bollocks IMO - I’ve held (and continue to hold) CSCS cards for various plant operations/crane supervising etc since 2002, and have got just about every relevant NPTC ticket (no blower ticket though I’m afraid!)... I’ve never been refused access to a site to undertake treework because I don’t have a BALI card.

When my lads’ CSCS cards require renewal I’m not going to give BALI a penny - I’d rather put the money towards getting them machine operators tickets instead (instead of wasting time sitting in a classroom with their thumbs up their arses). 

14 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Which sites are these?, we've had numerous lads on Kier, Persimmons etc sites and never been asked for a supervisors card. Again I'm not arguing, just never come across it.

Bellway ,Cadent,crest Nicholson, southern gas network Barrett Croydon was the worst wanted tickets for everything told them didn’t have strimmer, tracked stand on Dumper didn’t exist neither does tracked loader. So left site got call 5 mins later get back to site and start they would sort it out just make sure we had a supervisor gold card

Ive said this before, this ticket game has been dreamed up to make someone money.....if Im ever asked for any of them I say no, when told I cant get on site, I dont even argue, just ask for there name and tell them I'll be invoicing the company for my wasted time to turn out, , can usually say that within 15 minutes your on site cutting timber with no hassles......money is the only factor affecting any site these days

• Like 2

5 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

I still fail to see how the ROLO ‘course’ is anything other than an expensive tax that could be replaced by an online card-check system (that granted wouldn’t earn the course providers their money-for-old-rope) that would negate the need to waste a day sending staff to jump through hoops. 

It’s all a massive load of bollocks IMO - I’ve held (and continue to hold) CSCS cards for various plant operations/crane supervising etc since 2002, and have got just about every relevant NPTC ticket (no blower ticket though I’m afraid!)... I’ve never been refused access to a site to undertake treework because I don’t have a BALI card.

When my lads’ CSCS cards require renewal I’m not going to give BALI a penny - I’d rather put the money towards getting them machine operators tickets instead (instead of wasting time sitting in a classroom with their thumbs up their arses). 

BALI are a really good organisation, and I have some involvement with them and contacts there.

Having said that, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

The whole thing seems to be a constantly goalpost-changing clusterfuck, which is putting professionals off doing things right.

ROLO/LISS/CSCS/CITB/YMCA/BOGOF is just a confusing mishmash.

Arb seems to be an afterthought. CSCS don’t even seem to have it on the menu as such, although I think we have established that we can’t argue anymore that we aren’t part of the construction process, especially site clearance.

There doesn’t even seem to be much correlation with SSSTS/SMSTS.

I’m generally a fan of tickets, they separate the wheat from the chaff and cut the nomads out of the food chain, but they need to add value and really mean something, and last a while.

If I want to pay money for pieces of paper that don’t last very long I can go to Tesco and get 16 rolls of Andrex for £3.99.

• Like 2

I similarly am a fan of training/assessments and the associated competence cards etc - as you say it can help separate the wheat from the chaff, and more importantly in my opinion develops individual staff and in turn the business as a whole. 

However, I really strongly detest wasting my and my staff’s time (and my money!) being forced to undertake box-ticking exercises simply to keep irrelevant people behind desks in work. In some cases I believe that belittling brain-draining courses can create resentment towards whichever organisation/employer it is that insists upon them - staff lose interest and switch off and the whole process takes on a negative turn. 

(As an aside, I feel that this can also be the case with over-the-top safety briefings/non relevant toolbox talks etc - when guys are being preached at about someone twisting their ankle when climbing some stairs as they weren’t holding the handrail etc (yet are then asked to climb a tree next to live power lines and chop bits off with a chainsaw) they can start to switch off to more relevant safety information). 

• Like 2

How many times have you answered the same questions in each ticket???
And then you go to a site induction which warns about the most remedial shyte.
Lost count of how many times I've had to sit through two hours of peter and Jane on a building site.
Like monkeybusiness says climbing stairs....then.....
Or blower tickets??????
WTF else does citb cover?
Oh you can't use a class 3 ladder on site as its a domestic ladder????
Not to mention CIS,DBS etc.
[emoji20]

I remember having to do a first aid thing before working on some site or other for half the morning 

They had that armless dummy thing for the kiss of life, the guy in front of me had cold sores and I flat out refused to do it, even though the instructor used alcohol wipes.

Edited by Mick Dempsey