CSCS card for tree work?

SimpleSimon

I did it, it is what it is. Gets me on development sites where I can earn good money, it's more than paid for its self. We went on a ROLO course with a local trainer, it was held in a pub and included lunch. It was actually quite a laugh, I then went onto do gold supervisors cscs card which was quite hard as I'm not from a construction background, all tree work. Worth getting though I think, we tend to get left alone on sites and they usually comment its nice to see someone with a gold card within a gang of blokes.

3 hours ago, Tree Man Tom said:

I did it, it is what it is. Gets me on development sites where I can earn good money, it's more than paid for its self. We went on a ROLO course with a local trainer, it was held in a pub and included lunch. It was actually quite a laugh, I then went onto do gold supervisors cscs card which was quite hard as I'm not from a construction background, all tree work. Worth getting though I think, we tend to get left alone on sites and they usually comment its nice to see someone with a gold card within a gang of blokes.

I have a gold fence erectors card been using it for site clearance for last 10 plus years the sites don’t care as long as you have a card they don’t even read them just want the number on the card

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dumper said:

I have a gold fence erectors card been using it for site clearance for last 10 plus years the sites don’t care as long as you have a card they don’t even read them just want the number on the card

This^, we were working on a site just outside Swindon last week, the bloke doing the induction didn't even ask to look at our cards, just asked us to write the number on the paperwork.

35 minutes ago, Tree Man Tom said:

Dont get me wrong I've been on sites similar... but also on sites where its paid to have it, more than paid to have it. Il renew it like for like when the time comes

I don't get why you would want a Gold card, if I can get on any site with the basic card what benefit does having a Gold card have?, I'm not arguing with you, just asking.

think ived renewed 3 times and every time things have changed. I only renewed the cscs card, didn't need the liss card as I don't use tools onsite no more.

Competed  the ROLO course, then touch screen test before I can send off for the card. I did mange to get a black manager card though.

1 hour ago, dumper said:

Gold is a supervisors card some sites require a supervisor if you have more than a couple of chaps working, and it looks better than a green one

Which sites are these?, we've had numerous lads on Kier, Persimmons etc sites and never been asked for a supervisors card. Again I'm not arguing, just never come across it.

Green cards don’t cut it now for some of the big boys out there. 
if a green card is accepted then I find I am wasting my time quoting as they’ll give it to the lowest bidder which is fine.

we only use self employed labourers and have paid for all to have Blue cards.

This has entailed doing the touch screen test, attending a one day Rolo course and ensuring that ground based and aerial tickets are within 5 years (not all mind just one or two to prove cpd)

i personally think it’s a good thing, the major players do not know our industry so to achieve a CSCS arborist Card demonstrates a certain level of competence.

And I find with those clients they expect a level of compliance over and above and appreciate the cost involved, which some don’t.

For some of our civil engineering clients we will be charging approximately double our usual rate, now you may think you are coining it in, but consider the investment required to even set foot on site and maintain that level.

If the playing field is level then it’s fine.

if not as in those that accept green cards then of course it’s bullshit and diminishes the value of that scheme.

Edited by Marc
  • Like 2

Good post Marc.

@monkeybusiness regarding 'Mark Bolam - what are the potential changes you’ve heard of? Good or bad?!', pretty much as Marc and others have said. BALI want everyone's card to be relevant to what they are actually doing on site.

The catch-all green cards won't cut it for much longer.

Blue skilled operative will be required (we are skilled aren't we?), and a team will need one of them to hold a Supervisor's card (someone has to be in charge).

More information here - 

WWW.BALI.ORG.UK