Ebb and flow of work

Rough Hewn

This is my second Winter trading after the closure of our ltd. company.

Fortunately I kept the phone number in my name.

A good number of returning clients as a result.

I've racheted up my rates, assembled a strong team and invested in publicity, kit, reduced the area I cover (French clients) and carry no debt.

Although I'm not currently short of regular work, enough for 3-4 of us most days, our enquiries are in line with other French guys of my aquaintance, the market is slow.

Even as I write this there is a report on t.v concerning the very subject of people tightening their belts.

I've no worries though, as stated previously, ebb and flow, influenced by elections, E.U uncertainty, economic nuances far beyond our understanding.

Of one thing I am sure of, there is no future quoting for expats.

Brexit has strangled that market, at least for now.

Stuart

Busy with lots booked in, should be able to keep to timescales given if weather behaves reasonably. Got some stuff in for next year too.

Had to give up on trimming a regular customer's tall conifer hedge today because it was so windy the hedge top was moving too much to get an even finish!

Last weekend was the first I can remember for months not going out to quote - so guess the calls have slowed down. But booking jobs in for latter half of January already so all looking good. Lost a couple of quotes because I couldn’t do the jobs quickly enough - some people think we just wait for the phone to ring and can be there next day!

Last weekend was the first I can remember for months not going out to quote - so guess the calls have slowed down. But booking jobs in for latter half of January already so all looking good. Lost a couple of quotes because I couldn’t do the jobs quickly enough - some people think we just wait for the phone to ring and can be there next day!

Just this evening I called back a lady who’s left a message on my landline at 8:30am. She said Oh you’re too late, I called another firm this morning and they came out this afternoon and did it. Well good luck to you Mrs.
  • Like 1