Greenmech Evo 165d v first St6d

matthawh1966

The comment of mine ref Puma engines comes from a discussion in a customer's workshop. They had a fleet of Transits and Rangers which pretty well all suffered from burnt engines and destroyed turbochargers. According to them, the Puma was a joint design with Ford and Peugeot/Citroen. The story is that for some reason, the 2.4 was reduced to 2.2 with truly massive pump pressure and once the injection spray starts to falter, it burns pistons etc. Some of their fleet had a couple of engine rebuilds and then a couple of engines. PCA left it to Ford to put right and soldier onwards!

• Like 1

The same thing is happening with diggers. Can't get a 2.8t machine with a 4 cylinder lump in anymore. Plenty of manufacturers use the same engine in models tons apart.

When I bought my 2.7 tonner, there were a few manufacturers with 'premium' machines in the range with engines around 18/19kw. There were also lots with only 14/15kw for a similar weight, and I'm sure I remember one with only 13kw.

18-19kw seems to be used also for most 3.5t machines- my Bobcat E27 has the same power engine as an E35. I'd imagine there is a break in the emmissions-weight class around there, because power ballons on a 4.5t machine, to 30.2KW on an E45,

With diggers, recent technological advances such as the widespread adoption of variable displacement piston pumps have made the same or more out of less power. You'll often hear people remark how a modern 1.8t digs like an old school 2.5t, and they're not wrong.

I fail to see how a woodchipper with exactly the same working mechanism, chipping the exact same timber, can make the same, let alone more, from less power. Way less power.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, doobin said:

I fail to see how a woodchipper with exactly the same working mechanism, chipping the exact same timber, can make the same, let alone more, from less power. Way less power.

One thing on GreenMechs agenda with the Evo 165 was to recycle the chip around the chamber less. If you imagine the timber enters at 6 o clock with the flywheel spinning counter clockwise (as stood from the infeed) and the chipped material exits at 12 o clock (approx). However, on older wood chippers with fairly basic X style paddle designs the chip wont always exit on its initial half a counter clockwise turn. The chip will be recycled around the flywheel / chamber and then be discharged at some point. (very hard to tell exactly)

Being able to feed material in, as I am sure you know is all about getting the material out. The quicker it can be discharged with as little recycling as possible the more efficient the chipper is. Stress control kicking in less etc etc.

The Evo flywheel has been in the region of three years in development. We know that older GreenMech 6" machines, TimberWolf TW150's and such like use the air that the flywheel paddles create to blow the chip out the discharge chute into the back of your wagon. 

The new Evo flywheel design uses the paddles to fling / throw the chip at a very high velocity. As proved in the video I posted a few pages ago. Whether you're a GreenMech fan or not, there is no denying that the Evo chip discharge is impressive.

Edited by GA Groundcare
  • Like 1

The Evo looks a very well thought-out chipper and looks to have been designed to work around the new legalisation with diesel engines.

I don't think that it matters that the engine is only 25hp as I remember using a Schliesing woodchipper that was 6inch but only had a 3-cylinder 23 horsepower kubota engine and that being a brilliant chipper.

• Like 1

It begs the questions, if you can extract the same (or very nearly the same chipping performance out an engine that now produces 26hp rather than 35hp

1: Why didn’t you do that before?

2: Are you going to use the same techniques to improve the chipping performance of the rest of the range?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It begs the questions, if you can extract the same (or very nearly the same chipping performance out an engine that now produces 26hp rather than 35hp

2: Are you going to use the same techniques to improve the chipping performance of the rest of the range?

GM went through many scraped flywheel designs and the Evo was launched around a year after they initially planned. So it was no easy step to get to where the Evo is today. Innovation takes time. Hindsight is easy ?

Yes, we understand what they’ve learnt through the Evo on flywheel design is going to be filtered through the range in due course. The SafeTrak and or the SureTrak is hands down the best embankment *tracking* chipper. Don’t think you can find an operator who can say it isn’t... But people just want that but more throughput these days. A swanky, higher performance flywheel in that machine would be the icing on the cake ?

Edited by GA Groundcare
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Out of curiosity, what is the next chipper up? over 750kg, 35hp+, price?

From the GM range. The Arborist 200. 

45hp, 8” x 12” infeed. Weighing in 1200kg ish. 

It has a retail of £22,650 ex vat. It’ll be going up soon due to engine cost increases from emissions. 

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

We have always done 25/26ho diesels and sold rooks abroad! Favourite in Spain for example. But, the UK buyers were fixated on having 35hp even performance increase was, for the most part, marginal. Now that Tier 5 looms, get used to it, buy petrol or pay more. Simple choices thrust on us all! We got stocks (at the moment) that will do our 150TD/QC160 range until next summer but we are producing the 165 now! It is a belter!