Wow to splice a 2nd rope as loop/ring to another

Pit

Hi there. 

I already did some splicing for my kite equipment but could not figure out how to do a splice like in the attached picture.

I would be very happy if somebody could tell me how to do this.

Thanks a lot in advance and greetings from Munich, Germany.

Pit

Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-09 um 19.50.30.jpg

23 hours ago, Pit said:

Hi there. 

I already did some splicing for my kite equipment but could not figure out how to do a splice like in the attached picture.

I would be very happy if somebody could tell me how to do this.

Thanks a lot in advance and greetings from Munich, Germany.

Pit

Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-09 um 19.50.30.jpg

Should there be an exclamation mark after WOW .like WOW ! ?

Edited by Stubby

On the old wooden sailing ships that type of configuration is called a cringle.  

Can’t tell from the picture how it was spliced, but there are three ways to do it with modern ropes.  I’m assuming it’s dyneema line, so for a straight bury would need long tapered buried tails, 64 times the line diameter is recommended for running rigging and 72 diameters for standing rigging.

The middle crude drawing shows the line passing through itself three times and is then buried, for a brummel, or lock stitch splice. The third is a locked brummel, were the tail goes through the line and then the line goes through the tail to form the lock, and then the tail bury. 
The blue is the chafe protector for reference.

B5768FEE-DB6F-46E8-A09F-702DC535446F.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 15:53, Brocky said:

so for a straight bury would need long tapered buried tails, 64 times the line diameter is recommended for running rigging and 72 diameters for standing rigging

Thanks a lot Brocky!

Your drawings are very helpful.

That means if I do a straight bury and make the length of the buried tails like 72 diameters I will not even have to fix it with sewing or similar?

That’s all for it to hold under load, but not loaded it can be accidentally pulled apart if snagged. Some stitches should be applied, this is Samson’s method

79BC6BB7-2873-4D51-A27C-23BAC1B582BF.png

Another thing to considered is the taper, it should gradual with no abrupt changes in diameter.  From Samson again, and the end of the buried tail is cut off at 45 degree angle, or more for a more gradual taper.

AE936EB2-BCC9-44FF-8DA3-B0B5EA945633.png

Edited by Brocky