372xp problem

owain038

Funny that, there's been loads of reported problems with modern NGKs on motorbikes in Britain. I now avoid them if possible. My local plant hire shop won't touch them. They've switched to Bosch. Their chainsaw mechanic races classic sidecar scrambles. Whether it's deteriorating chinese quality/design or chinese knock offs I'm not sure. 

Edited by cloggy

There are a lot of fake plugs about, just like everything I suppose.

I must have replaced a good couple of hundred ish plugs over the years and have never had a dodgy one. There are plenty of fake ones on eBay and the likes, hence the increase in issues I guess.

I would ditch the 372 if it has a Chinese crank and cylinder, it isn't worth the time and cost sorting it out.

Non oem parts are hit and miss at the best of times. Why on earth anyone buys them is a mystery to me! If a machine is worth repairing then it's worth repairing properly.

Having said that I know quite a few people trust their lives on non traceable ppe so I guess there is always a market for cheap products.

Edited by Mark_Skyland
  • Like 1

I learnt about cheap cranks from a scrimping customer who wanted a cheap crank in his 660, one sheared I half, one big end grenaded and then I fitted a new OEM crank, lasted a year and some scrote then stole it!!!!

If it is a primary saw then there isn't really a choice bar Meteor or possibly Hyway on top ends.

16 minutes ago, Mark_Skyland said:

There are a lot of fake plugs about, just like everything I suppose.

I get mine from the car spares shop my wife drives for on Saturdays they are agents for NG K and get them straight from the distributor so they should be totally legitimate. 

11 hours ago, owain038 said:

My thoughts too, while spraying soapy water at the decompressor didn't product any bubbles I'm not convinced it was sealing up, as apparently the old was reused on the new cylinder, and the crush washer isn't replaceable on them so guessing that didn't seal up properly and produced an air leak.

He's deciding whether it's worth while repairing or not... Might have a cheap 372 on my hands if I'm lucky emoji1787.png

I was thinking more in terms of split fuel hose , or leaking crank seals allowing air into the mix making it run lean .

12 hours ago, owain038 said:
15 hours ago, peatff said:
That top end doesn't look like a Husqvarna, the cylinder finish is dog rough. I've never had a bad straight from the box NGK plug yet.

Was a cheap aftermarket one he said.

20 hours ago, owain038 said:

Just got an update
He said "it's been a bitch to start hot and when it runs out of fuel since the rebuild"... He also said the rebuild wasn't expensive so I'm guessing crappy parts used and compression is too low

This is what he said and I was agreeing with him. ?

Check the impulse line an the fuel hose where it pushes through the tank wall as they are prone to split there. Other than that, if the limiters are off the carb, perhaps it has been tuned by an "expert".:scared1:

It could just be dodgy fuel mix but the saw will need a full check over otherwise you will end up with another failure.

Once saw a 346 that came in with three destroyed top ends......I found the big end had failed before fitting a fourth!

• Like 2

On the subject of Ngks, I’ve had three dud BPMR7A plugs out of the same box. Only time I’ve had faulty ones in 30 odd years. Just because it hasn’t happened before doesn’t mean it won’t [emoji1787]I always whip the plug cap off, and the stop wire, then hold the ht lead next to the cylinder to test, assuming the ht lead isn’t worn. Always listen to the transfer pop with the plug out too. Found a badly worn piston the other day, reasonable compression, not seized, but not transferring either. Plenty of spark but no go!! Wet plug!