Second hand furniture. What’s it worth?

Steve Bullman

We furnished our house with 2nd hand furniture(all bar one new retro-chic glass display cabinet the wife fancied for the dining room), some inherited(i.e. going in a skip otherwise), most bought from Ballinderry , solid Victorian stuff, some Oak, mostly Magohony, that will not age, and at least unlike Ikea worth sommat if ever sold-on.

I designed in slightly higher ceilings throughout, so we were able to get value-for-money on larger wardrobes etc.

The dining room table is a 6 legged solid Oak topped monster about 5 foot wide by 10 foot long, ex some commercial usuage and bought along with 2 more the same(and they are stored on the 1/2 loft in the shed) for absolutely stone nothing.

Compared to modern chipboard/MDF shite.

I like proper furniture.

mth

Edited by difflock
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

It depends on what it is. Pine seems to go for a fair bit down here, a decent 2nd hand pine dining table and 4 chairs for £150 say but something double the size with 8 chairs in solid mahogany down here will go for £20!

Still buttons compared to its cost new, considering it’s basically as good as new.

11 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Still buttons compared to its cost new, considering it’s basically as good as new.

Depends what they paid for it new, the pine table I'd guess £300 new - so half price. The Mahogany set probably £2000 in today's money new.

It's hard to say what Steve's set would go for, there doesn't seem to be much similar on gumtree to compare it to.

Same desk is actually going for £849 now. According to the site its solid walnut. I'm not convinced the top is though

EFURNITUREUK.COM

The superb Mayan Walnut Twin Pedestal Hardwood Computer Desk. Walnut is a quality timber making it a perfect choice for this double pedestal office desk

It depends on what it is. Pine seems to go for a fair bit down here, a decent 2nd hand pine dining table and 4 chairs for £150 say but something double the size with 8 chairs in solid mahogany down here will go for £20!

If you can get solid mahogany table & 8’s for £20 a set please PM me.

5 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Putting my office furniture up for sale on gumtree and Facebook probably. Want to get as much as possible for it to help pay for my new office but can’t decide what to try for, and I don’t want it to sit for weeks on end not selling. I’ve been caught out before by selling stuff too cheap and it being snapped up on an instant.

its a walnut veneer. I’d say it’s not as good a quality as it looks though. In superb condition all over. Paid £1000 for all 3 units if I recall. 

what do you reckon it’s worth second hand?

47500577-D4D5-4BBF-8CED-060E617AD984.jpeg

0596D99D-3CAA-49ED-A522-C0CEE92D41F2.jpeg

8BCB896A-663C-4A04-BF78-F6224F641A21.jpeg

you where a bit slow there Steve we have just had Bonfire night,,,, only 362 days till next one thou !!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Same desk is actually going for £849 now. According to the site its solid walnut. I'm not convinced the top is though

EFURNITUREUK.COM

The superb Mayan Walnut Twin Pedestal Hardwood Computer Desk. Walnut is a quality timber making it a perfect choice for this double pedestal office desk

That is very close to african walnet which is used for most of the big carvings you see on the market,Its listed as mayan which means is rain forest sourced so will be a cheaper mass produced set,Should still make £350/£400 as a set though steve as it looks is super condition 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Have this up for sale on gumtree at the moment. Had one chancer so far, sounds like a definite scam to me ?

Thanks for the response, I'm ready to buy this for my dearest son, only issue is that i work full time and am not around hence i have a verified agent coming for the collection after the money as been sent to your account and the collector will be available for all necessary things that is needed done about collection. Due to my work there is strictly no call that is why i ask my child to send you an email over because our server has been down here at work. I'm able to access my email here anytime. I have gone through your ad and i am satisfied with it so we are good to go.

I will be paying through paypal so if you have an account with them, get one set up and kindly get back to me with the paypal details and firm price for payment:

3 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Have this up for sale on gumtree at the moment. Had one chancer so far, sounds like a definite scam to me ?

Thanks for the response, I'm ready to buy this for my dearest son, only issue is that i work full time and am not around hence i have a verified agent coming for the collection after the money as been sent to your account and the collector will be available for all necessary things that is needed done about collection. Due to my work there is strictly no call that is why i ask my child to send you an email over because our server has been down here at work. I'm able to access my email here anytime. I have gone through your ad and i am satisfied with it so we are good to go.

I will be paying through paypal so if you have an account with them, get one set up and kindly get back to me with the paypal details and firm price for payment:

Seems legit and he definitely won’t claim the money back through PayPal.

• Haha 1