Rotatec Guide bar and chain

Paul Tomo

4 minutes ago, daddyola50 said:

As already mentioned why pay top money for the latest quality saw then begrudge a good chain to match and put what is undoubtedly a slower cutting poorer quality chain on . Not the smartest move methinks .

Consumables are a bit different to a saw purchase, although in the case of rotatech there's no real difference. It's just they're cheaper.

We’ve had brand new Rotatec bars and chains twisting so much that they won’t cut (15’’ stuff, nothing special). Others have been fine.

Quality control is terrible, and Saturn Machine Knives (Northern Arb Supplies/Rotatec/call them what you like as they are all the same outfit) aftersales is definitely not something you could reliably fall back on!). 

1 hour ago, gdh said:

Consumables are a bit different to a saw purchase, although in the case of rotatech there's no real difference. It's just they're cheaper.

I disagree..I been cutting since 89 full time . There is a massive difference in a stihl chain and the roto tech I tried a month back . For a pro cutter no use at all . Any saving is lost in production and trying to sharpen it . The heat made by the chain will take it's toll on the bar and the saw ..

From my perspective, for my limited felling and firewood cutting, why would I use anything BUT Stihl. Local supplier(and we both catch up on the local gossip), very easy sharpened, holds an edge/ does not appear to need sharpening very often, the marginal difference in purchase cost is therefore inconsequential.

mth

• Like 2

3 hours ago, difflock said:

From my perspective, for my limited felling and firewood cutting, why would I use anything BUT Stihl. Local supplier(and we both catch up on the local gossip), very easy sharpened, holds an edge/ does not appear to need sharpening very often, the marginal difference in purchase cost is therefore inconsequential.

mth

It's not a marginal cost difference, Stihl is double the price.

I'm a pro user and Rotatech chains are fine, although I wouldn't use the bars.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, doobin said:

It's not a marginal cost difference, Stihl is double the price.

I'm a pro user and Rotatech chains are fine, although I wouldn't use the bars.

But, for all the chains I use, the difference in cost is indeed marginal, in the greater scheme of things.