Advice needed 020t

GuyMo

So, I’ve managed to grab myself an 020t from around 2001 (that’s when it’s original manual said it was from). It’s in great nick. As good compression as my 261c (18 months old), starts and runs well, no play in the crankshaft, no wear on the cylinder/piston.

Didn’t cost me too much either which was a bonus (I assumed I’d need to spend a bit on it).

However there are three things I’d ask for some advice/wisdom on.

1) Chain turns while idling- I’m going to replace the clutch/springs, but is there anything else it might be?

2) Very smoky, chucking out a lot of white exhaust. Is this typically an older saw thing, or is there an easy resolution?

3) The is no chain catcher. Is this normal for the saw (I can’t see an attachment point, and there’s nothing broken off)? If it’s normal, would it be wise or possible to retrofit one?

All advice very gratefully received!

• Like 1

Yep, change the springs, assuming the shoes are ok, and spring holes haven't worn right through the side of the shoe. P/N 0000 997 5515  and while your there check and perhaps change the needle bearing, P/N 9512 933 2270

Chain catcher, P/N 1129 656 7701

Smoke, have you given it a good run since you got it,  to get rid of residue oil from muffler.  No telling what oil it's been run on, and what was set up for.

Parts list, for reference, 

WWW.DIYSPAREPARTS.COM

Select a page from the Stihl 020 Chainsaw (020T) exploaded view parts diagram to find and buy spares for this machine.