Wanted small draw knife

Lazurus

2 minutes ago, difflock said:

Andy, explain why you dump lightly used knives, and by the boxful too?

Because its Norway? :D 

The cost of a Rig over a Well Template can cost upwards of £500,000 a day. The last rig I was on it was £800,000. Divide 800,00/24 thats £33,000 odd an hour. It simply is not feasible to spend time sharpening a £30 knife in that time. We must use 40-60 a trip stripping off plastic encapsulation from Hydraulic and Electrical Control Lines. Unless you're doing a good job of resharpening the Blade the small scores or knicks will longitudinally score the Control Lines. This will create weak spots in Contol lines that see 10,000psi. Get a Leak and the Well is kinda buggered. Hire an extra man to sharpen the knives on the crew? Thats an extra £4000 a day for that guy to be there. We'll maybe burn through £1000 worth of knives (I doubt we pay the full £30) Its just simple economics. 

We now have easy strip, with kevlar threads inserted so as to save on the use of knives, not for cost saving but safety. It cost maybe another £5000 for the Kevlar, but we hate it so use the knives anyway. :D 

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

48 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Because its Norway? :D 

The cost of a Rig over a Well Template can cost upwards of £500,000 a day. The last rig I was on it was £800,000. Divide 800,00/24 thats £33,000 odd an hour. It simply is not feasible to spend time sharpening a £30 knife in that time. We must use 40-60 a trip stripping off plastic encapsulation from Hydraulic and Electrical Control Lines. Unless you're doing a good job of resharpening the Blade the small scores or knicks will longitudinally score the Control Lines. This will create weak spots in Contol lines that see 10,000psi. Get a Leak and the Well is kinda buggered. Hire an extra man to sharpen the knives on the crew? Thats an extra £4000 a day for that guy to be there. We'll maybe burn through £1000 worth of knives (I doubt we pay the full £30) Its just simple economics. 

We now have easy strip, with kevlar threads inserted so as to save on the use of knives, not for cost saving but safety. It cost maybe another £5000 for the Kevlar, but we hate it so use the knives anyway. :D 

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Crazy thing is Andy I reckon you would be a very rich man if you had the access to the  content of each skip in the onshore bases or yards in Aberdeen or any other offshore support area. Rigging and lifting eqpt alone with a single immersion policy it’s once in the water then skipped. Not so easy on choppers but it makes for rich pickings on the boats at demob ?unofficially of course. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Johnsond said:

Crazy thing is Andy I reckon you would be a very rich man if you had the access to the  content of each skip in the onshore bases or yards in Aberdeen or any other offshore support area. Rigging and lifting eqpt alone with a single immersion policy it’s once in the water then skipped. Not so easy on choppers but it makes for rich pickings on the boats at demob ?unofficially of course. 

But again re the "single immersion policy", surely with howling gales and wind driven salt spray, the tackle is probably suffering more salt water exposure for the extended periods while NOT in the water. And a visual inspection should detect any mechanical damage that possibly occurred unseen while underwater?

Ah!
See I did not realize you were using these knives for your work, imagining rather I suppose, that you would use a Stanley type "safety" knife for such duties.
But surely it should be possible to donate the boxes of slightly used knives to the Norwegian boy Scouts?

We don’t donate or are allowed to give anything away. Insurance reasons. So in the skip they go. It would be far easier just sending the scouts money and they could buy their own knives.

Crazy thing is Andy I reckon you would be a very rich man if you had the access to the  content of each skip in the onshore bases or yards in Aberdeen or any other offshore support area. Rigging and lifting eqpt alone with a single immersion policy it’s once in the water then skipped. Not so easy on choppers but it makes for rich pickings on the boats at demob [emoji51]unofficially of course. 

You’re no joking! Brings a tear to my eye. A lad I know just liberated a near new £4000+ massage chair from the skip. Put it in the container with the approval of the rig. Changed a fuse somewhere and it was good as new. ?

16 minutes ago, difflock said:

But again re the "single immersion policy", surely with howling gales and wind driven salt spray, the tackle is probably suffering more salt water exposure for the extended periods while NOT in the water. And a visual inspection should detect any mechanical damage that possibly occurred unseen while underwater?

Agreed in some respects but it’s the way it is. Most rigging is contained with lofts or containers so tends not to be exposed to the elements until required but the key thing is the visual inspection!!! (Which cannot see inside the outer cover  in many cases) If anything ever went tits up the blame game is horrendous and take it from me we do live in a blame culture contrary to what is often said. Less hassle and safer to replace and use new certified dedicated stuff on every new job that can include everything from a 1ton strop to a skip full of chain pulls and lever hoists etc etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1