Digger post knocker

donnk

5 minutes ago, doobin said:

I never bother setting either of my machines to single acting when using the knocker, and both work fine. It's a tiny ram.

Oh right. But when you activate the weight to drop does the pump not strain as it’s acting on the double service. ie post knocker has 1 hose which is both feed and the return hose. On my Takeuchi it’s easy as when it’s single acting mode I press the other button which release the fluid and weight drops, on my Kubota (pedal operated) you press the left side which raises the weight fine but only way to release is press right side, which drops the weight but you can hear the pump straining as it’s pressuring the other aux hose on the other side of the boom (which is dead end as no hose connecctsd

Edited by Matthew Storrs

16 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Oh right. But when you activate the weight to drop does the pump not strain as it’s acting on the double service. ie post knocker has 1 hose which is both feed and the return hose. On my Takeuchi it’s easy as when it’s single acting mode I press the other button which release the fluid and weight drops, on my Kubota (pedal operated) you press the left side which raises the weight fine but only way to release is press right side, which drops the weight but you can hear the pump straining as it’s pressuring the other aux hose on the other side of the boom (which is dead end as no hose connecctsd

I never have the revs flat out so it doesn't worry me. If you were bothered by it then the simplest work-around would probably be to connect a line to the second aux and take it with a one way valve in the line tee'd to the knocker hose. As you pressurise the knocker the one way valve stops it taking the easier route through that serviced. But when you return to tank then the other aux hose can dump straight into the first as per normal.

6 minutes ago, doobin said:

I never have the revs flat out so it doesn't worry me. If you were bothered by it then the simplest work-around would probably be to connect a line to the second aux and take it with a one way valve in the line tee'd to the knocker hose. As you pressurise the knocker the one way valve stops it taking the easier route through that serviced. But when you return to tank then the other aux hose can dump straight into the first as per normal.

Ah bloody good idea. So when I press the right side of pedal to dump weight the pump will still push fluid but it won’t be dead ending, it will simply circuit back to the tank via post knocker hose? More fluid then being pushed back through the first aux as also got whatever is in the knocker ram to return too- would that slow the weight fall down do you think?

Edited by Matthew Storrs

46 minutes ago, Stere said:

BS1722:2 has  box strainers  and also a bottom strand of  barb wire? ?

Does bs tell u specs?? I thought it was just to tell materials where up to standard.

Not something I've ever looked up or bothered with.

Thankfully never been asked to put a ground barb on

To be honest I think I'd refuse to put barb on at ground level, lost count the number of times ripped my hands open finding buried barb.

A real pet hate off mine and completely piontless

Edited by drinksloe
  • Like 1

Being told it  does but not seen it

Ground barb is ok imo as keeps netting getting buried and rusting as can put if higher up  & stops lambs  pushin under were the ground is uneven but im only an  amateur fencer...

jusr googled the Standards:

https://allcivilstandard.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/BS-01722-2-2006-2011.pdf

Doesn't say bottom barb has plain, and has box or strut strainer supports.

Edited by Stere

14 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Ah bloody good idea. So when I press the right side of pedal to dump weight the pump will still push fluid but it won’t be dead ending, it will simply circuit back to the tank via post knocker hose? More fluid then being pushed back through the first aux as also got whatever is in the knocker ram to return too- would that slow the weight fall down do you think?

Hihgly doubt it. The weight is held by a comparatively tiny ram, and the kinetic energy as such will give it precedence over the secondary flow.

Both mine work absoloutely fine double acting. Dead ending is only really a problem with a relief valve that's not working right. You could also tweak your aux relief valve to kick in a touch earlier if this won't affect any other implements you run.

• Like 1