Digger post knocker

donnk

1 minute ago, youngsbury said:

That cup is 7” from memory but can be made any size to your spec ! I just shave the post if to big to fit over post I’ll dig out the paperwork tomorrow and put on here who supplied the set up ! Its an atlas Copco breaker which can be used either in breaker mode ie mounted on top of breaker which is good if really hard ground as you can pre drill !  or in post mode then mounted on side it’s certainly got some kick to it. The shepherd who rents the land on the park brought up his tractor / post knocker who make a compound and his big knocker wouldn’t drive posts in !  I Did it with the digger no problems he was so impressed he brought one to fit on his digger ( he’s got a 2000acre farm ) Robin 

Thanks, it does sound good- I’ve never really seen much of these vibrating knockers- the ones I’ve seen on the smaller sub 3 ton machines look a bit pathetic but perhaps you don’t start getting the clout till your up in the 5t plus hammers.

There’s no return waiting time for the hammer to pull up a mast so it could be pretty efficient, and perhaps less overall weight compared with drop knocker.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Thanks, it does sound good- I’ve never really seen much of these vibrating knockers- the ones I’ve seen on the smaller sub 3 ton machines look a bit pathetic but perhaps you don’t start getting the clout till your up in the 5t plus hammers.

There’s no return waiting time for the hammer to pull up a mast so it could be pretty efficient, and perhaps less overall weight compared with drop knocker.

Google  Paul peacock hydraulic services Herefordshire he supplied the unit ! He certainly knows what he’s talking about. If you need anything else  no problem just ask ??

51 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

But, there is ni way there are going in straight, in that video it goes all over the place. You need a guy with a level to set it with the first Knocks

3 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

But, there is ni way there are going in straight, in that video it goes all over the place. You need a guy with a level to set it with the first Knocks

Not bad for first go I am guessing, practice make perfect.

With mine, it wobbles around until the post starts to firm up. A few light taps sets it firm, adjust as necessary followed by a few good clouts and it’s in, with the plumb line because it’s always giving you the line you can adjust as your knocking it in whereas spirit level you have to stop whilst you check the levels. I had a tractor and rammer for quite a few years. All the side shifts and tilts etc, but get them at least as straight with the digger one. 

We've got a protech 230 (300kg) on our 8 tonner which matches up nicely. With tilt on the digger it's slightly quicker than the identical one we have on a tractor but loses out by not having a rock spike and obviously increased travel time.

We always have two of us when knocking but the one on the digger can level fairly easily on their own, sideways is easy and I use the top of the netting to eye it forward and back. I don't bother putting the foot on the floor so I do one knock to steady the post then level it after.

DSC_6227.JPG

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gdh said:

We've got a protech 230 (300kg) on our 8 tonner which matches up nicely. With tilt on the digger it's slightly quicker than the identical one we have on a tractor but loses out by not having a rock spike and obviously increased travel time.

We always have two of us when knocking but the one on the digger can level fairly easily on their own, sideways is easy and I use the top of the netting to eye it forward and back. I don't bother putting the foot on the floor so I do one knock to steady the post then level it after.

DSC_6227.JPG

Nice setup there. Have you tried  anchoring the post cap to the bottom of the mast with chains- best thing I ever started doing with digger knockers. It makes the whole setup very stable as weight of the knocker is all transferred to the post which stabilises it plus means you can push down a bit on the post which makes the hammer more effective plus you get full drop height from the start of the post knocking. I’d you look closely at my post cap you can see that chains. Simple mod but makes a big difference in my opinion.

p.s do you know what the total plated weight of your protech is with the 300kg hammer on it

B3783214-19BE-435E-9C31-4A8A451CD0BD.jpeg

1 hour ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Nice setup there. Have you tried  anchoring the post cap to the bottom of the mast with chains- best thing I ever started doing with digger knockers. It makes the whole setup very stable as weight of the knocker is all transferred to the post which stabilises it plus means you can push down a bit on the post which makes the hammer more effective plus you get full drop height from the start of the post knocking. I’d you look closely at my post cap you can see that chains. Simple mod but makes a big difference in my opinion.

p.s do you know what the total plated weight of your protech is with the 300kg hammer on it

B3783214-19BE-435E-9C31-4A8A451CD0BD.jpeg

Thanks for the idea, that could save the annoying slips when trying to straighten a post. I might look at that for some places.

Unfortunately most of our stuff recently seems to be under trees so I'm always having to keep the knocker low and at full reach so can only do little taps sometimes.

I'll try and remember to check if the weight is on ours tomorrow. It's just about usable at full reach but it's on the limit. That is with the weight and extra length of a tilting quick hitch though.