Digger post knocker

donnk

Depends what size digger you're putting it on. They're all easy to level up one way with the digger's crowd. Sideways is harder- you have to use the blade, you can get some with a tilt on them but they need larger carrier machines obviously.

That Browns looks very well designed.

Edited by doobin

Protech P18 for me with 180kg weight works well with my little chain modification on the post cap to do away with the awful leg. Robust and reasonably priced.

the browns one does look very well made BUT at 450kg it’s going pretty heavy on a sub 3 ton machine. Protech is 350kg with same size hammer but no side tilt- which I’ve never really needed on a digger just use blade to level- a good operator will get them in pukka!

5E2147BF-1223-4AC0-AD4B-3D89D42B7D9F.jpeg

A3D527C6-2A84-4A08-97CD-AC11413A3EBC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
21 minutes ago, Martin du Preez said:

I'm looking at getting a P18 like yours Matthew, It will be going on a 2.7 tonne CAT, What weight would you guys recommend for that? will be mainly got banging in squaresawn post and rail? TIA

Basically my 2.8t digger is on its comfortable limit with the protech P18 with 180kg hammer, total machine weight is 350kg. My Takeuchi is not zero tail it has quite an overhang and is a stable machine.

its all in the operator really- they can be lethal on steep ground if you havn’t got your wits about you. But little things like always try and knock uphill, travel with it pointing up the slope, if going accross soft ground keep it behind direction of travel so it keeps the front of the tracks lifting slightly on the surface, not pushing them into the ground etc. When swinging round on rough ground keep knocker nr the ground so you havn’t got far to tip!

if you have a zero tail. Perhaps drop the hammer weight down to 150kg, the fact you can drive square posts into the ground neatly means your probably on fairly fertile soils?

Edited by Matthew Storrs

1 minute ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Basically my 2.8t digger is on its comfortable limit with the protech P18 with 180kg hammer, total machine weight is 350kg. My Takeuchi is not zero tail it has quite an overhang and is a stable machine.

its all in the operator really- they can be lethal on steep ground if you havn’t got your wits about you. But little things like always try and knock uphill, travel with it pointing up the slope, if going accross soft ground keep it behind direction of travel so it keeps the front of the tracks lifting slightly on the surface, not pushing them into the ground etc. 

if you have a zero tail. Perhaps drop the hammer weight down to 150kg, the fact you can drive square posts into the ground neatly means your probably on fairly fertile soils?

Thanks Matthew, Yes 150kg sounds like the better option. North Essex/Suffolk and around me is predominantly sand or clay. I just like the idea of how versatile the digger can be. Do you know what piping needs to be in the digger for the set up? its got hammer lines and aux by the look of it

5 minutes ago, Martin du Preez said:

Thanks Matthew, Yes 150kg sounds like the better option. North Essex/Suffolk and around me is predominantly sand or clay. I just like the idea of how versatile the digger can be. Do you know what piping needs to be in the digger for the set up? its got hammer lines and aux by the look of it

If your going for the one where it’s all operated by the digger operator than your standard aux circuit is fine. It does need to be in single acting mode though- you’ll probably have a valve somewhere you can swap between single and double. Is it a rocker switch on the joystick to activate aux hydraulics or a foot pedal?

I love the digger mounted ones- been using them for 10 years now and they just get in places that you couldn’t entertain with a tractor. But they also pretty effective on straight line field fencing too- yeah bigger weight would sometimes be nice, but I can always predrill strainer post holes with a 6” auger if the ground is heavy going which allows the strainer to sink in nice and tight.

Edited by Matthew Storrs

Yup, they’re very quick for knocking in line posts. Mine allows me to make good money at meterage rates the half dozen times a year I do field fencing. Much more versatile than a tractor, as half the time you need the digger to clear the old fence line anyhow. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1