BG86 blower eating starter springs!

Darkslider

I've ordered a couple of the solid pulleys from L&S so I can replace both Ergostart systems on two bg86 blowers. Are the pawls interchangeable or do I need to source different pawls/springs too?

A new Chinese carb was only a tenner and it seems to be running fine on it when the starter isn't broken, I'll take the other one to bits when I've got more time I'm expecting to find the float sticking open or a worn needle perhaps, hopefully it'll be salvageable to keep as a spare.

7 hours ago, Darkslider said:

I'll take the other one to bits when I've got more time I'm expecting to find the float sticking open or a worn needle perhaps, hopefully it'll be salvageable to keep as a spare.

I'll put money on it that it's not anything to do with the needle, or metering arm.   I would say it'll be the pump diaphragm, hold it up to the light and you'll see a line of tiny holes down one side. 

The amount of people that clean replace / needles only to find it still fails the pressure test, then as a last resort junk the carb, when all it needs is a pump diaphragm which if it has a hole in it will give the exact same symptoms.  Evident by putting your finger over the pulse hole at the front of carb when doing a pressure check. ;) 

What happens here is the gassing fuel, changes in temperature etc cause pressure,  this pushes fuel through the pulse hole very slowly filling the crankcase. = Fooked ergo starter.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
I think this is the little blighter -
WWW.LSENGINEERS.CO.UK
Rope rotor/pulley Genuine Stihl Part OEM Part No. 4241 195 0400 Suitable for the following Stihl Machines: BG 66, BG 66...  
Hi guys. Having the same issue with the starter springs. Put a new one in a few days ago and it's already broken. Is the only part I need to change to the older system the rope rotor like suggested? Or do I need to buy other parts?

Many thanks
James

• 1 month later...
On 07/11/2019 at 19:17, lurkalot said:

I'll put money on it that it's not anything to do with the needle, or metering arm.   I would say it'll be the pump diaphragm, hold it up to the light and you'll see a line of tiny holes down one side. 

While I agree with you about the strong possibility of hydraulic lock, the soft start system is a very weak link in a soft chain and is best replaced with the earlier part......the spring in question is a useless complication imo

4 hours ago, Macpherson said:

the soft start system is a very weak link in a soft chain and is best replaced with the earlier part......the spring in question is a useless complication imo

That is exactly what my local Stihl dealer said about my BG 86. Never looked back once the older mechanism was fitted.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2020 at 01:57, Macpherson said:

While I agree with you about the strong possibility of hydraulic lock, the soft start system is a very weak link in a soft chain and is best replaced with the earlier part......the spring in question is a useless complication imo

Absolutely agree with you..  At least I didn't say the starters were any good.  ;) 

• Like 1