Robinia avenue - two down

Hello there!

same location that previous post (Mature Quercus Ilex)

there is a group of Robinias, two in the centre are dying

the question is should i replace with robinia again or change species??

trees are young and no apparent reason for dying, like flood, compaction or animal damaged...?

what do you think?

thank you for your opinions!

Pablo

IMG_8523.jpeg

IMG_8528.jpeg

IMG_8530.jpeg

From just the pics and no in site visit it’s difficult to be precise wether the issue is biotic or abiotic but I’d be inclined to check for evidence of honey fungus before any replant. Unless noticed a few months ago and before frosts it’s likely the fruiting bodies are no longer visible but if you look hard enough you may still see evidence of where they were clustered together in clumps. They leave a noticeable black sludge. Or look under some flaking bark near the basal area and look for mycelium evidence in the form of threads. Kinda like a spiders web. It seems strange that 3 out of that entire row have succumbed yet the others in view look healthy and still in leaf. If evidence of honey fungus is found, I’d hold off on replanting “like for like” as Pseudoacacia inc the “Frisia” species are susceptible to honey fungus especially if weakened or newly planted. Re: the replant. Perhaps consider one of the true Acacia’s. The “dealbata” variety has lovely form/flowers and is also evergreen. Would look tidy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Arbitree said:

From just the pics and no in site visit it’s difficult to be precise wether the issue is biotic or abiotic but I’d be inclined to check for evidence of honey fungus before any replant. Unless noticed a few months ago and before frosts it’s likely the fruiting bodies are no longer visible but if you look hard enough you may still see evidence of where they were clustered together in clumps. They leave a noticeable black sludge. Or look under some flaking bark near the basal area and look for mycelium evidence in the form of threads. Kinda like a spiders web. It seems strange that 3 out of that entire row have succumbed yet the others in view look healthy and still in leaf. If evidence of honey fungus is found, I’d hold off on replanting “like for like” as Pseudoacacia inc the “Frisia” species are susceptible to honey fungus especially if weakened or newly planted. Re: the replant. Perhaps consider one of the true Acacia’s. The “dealbata” variety has lovely form/flowers and is also evergreen. Would look tidy.

I agree with Arbitree. I would say Honey fungus. Baring in mind Robinia is very much a fan of suckering and roots connect between trees over a vast distance. Honey fungus will stop a tree dead and it takes no prisoners.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AJStrees said:

I agree with Arbitree. I would say Honey fungus. Baring in mind Robinia is very much a fan of suckering and roots connect between trees over a vast distance. Honey fungus will stop a tree dead and it takes no prisoners.  

I was thinking strimmer damage had let something nasty in, then wondered if a herbicide had also been used to screef those bare patches around the bases.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...