HLA 85 Review

bloodmilksky

Love them.

That said not as tough as the petrol ones ive found.

I use daily and they are not given any slack so to speak. If i get 2 yrs out of one im ok with that.

The petrol ones have more grunt and seem to last longer. 

But id chose electric all day long. ( but not electric saws , they are not there yet). 

Pole saw is awesome too by the way.

• Like 1

ive found the heads where the motor sits pushes out a bit, then its grinds the drive shaft teeth.

Had one just stop for no apparent reason.

Small plastic stopper inside the shaft broke so u can over extend ( they 2 parts come apart and u can see the electric cable inside). This would be a easy quick fix but didnt bother me so never bothered to fix.

They seem to be permanently dry ( in terms of grease). U cant over grease as it overloads the battery and it wont let u work. So little and often but every single one ive had develops a horrible dry screech ( quick spray of lube sorted) but still not a nice sound.

Makes it sound bad but by and large actually small things. Ive had 4 now and for me in terms of actually using them they r the best hedge cutter ive used.

You still want a short one to compliment your set up but the extension means u can do so much more ( height wise) over a fixed standard length one.

No pull start is lovely

They are quiet too ( thought the short one isnt so nice as its much closer)

No fumes.

And u can share the battery with other tools ( ie lawn mower etc).

If ur bruting ur way through thick brambles etc then no this isnt the tool. If however ur facing a tight conifer hedge, this especially when sharp is the dogs!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great tool. Have short reach version too, as well as various petrol clippers. The battery ones are always first out of the van. Had the HLA85 for two years now. Had to spend £130 recently on getting it repaired, that's been the only issue with it.

We use the AP300 batteries. If we're doing hedges all day we would run these batteries flat.

I have the HLA85 and a HSA 86 25". I use AP200 with the former and AP300 with the latter (because those are the two batteries I have), and both tools seem to be balanced best that way.

I love both, and would straight replace if either break. I very rarely break out the petrol trimmer now.

Only thing that has gone wrong is the switch assembly on the HSA86. A mate of mine had the same.