Ghost Stories

Kent Arboreal

Personally never seen anything I’d definitely say was supernatural. But..

I used to be a fishing ghillie on an old sporting estate with castle and three private graveyards. We used to fish at night for seatrout from beginning of May until August. Only started after it got dark but nights are short in a Scottish summer.
I had about four miles of fishing to look after so there was a lot of strimming of paths and trimming of trees. One young lad of about 16 was a part of a group of 6 fishing for the week. Sensible lad. Since he was the fittest I showed him where to go which was the most remote but promising pools to fish. I went with one of the older gents to a dam some mile upstream of where the young lad had to go.
The lads best chance of some fish was a round shaped pool surrounded by cliffs with one narrow access route in. Out the same way. At the neck of the pool was a rock promontory from which he could fish. The walk to the pools are down well worn paths through beech trees about 150 years old and lots of Rhododendrons.
So while standing alongside the older gent at the dam we suddenly notice a figure at the other side of the dam. It’s the young lad who staggers none too quietly across the dam wall. When he gets to us he’s shaking and in a bit of a state. He’d got to the main pool and clearly spotted a chap out on the promontory in the half light. He’d looked down to get down the two foot drop to access the promontory and looked back up to see no sign of the visitor.
I asked him for a description of the bloke. He perfectly described the previous ghillie who had died four years earlier but who he’d never met.

• Like 2

Personally never seen anything I’d definitely say was supernatural. But..

I used to be a fishing ghillie on an old sporting estate with castle and three private graveyards. We used to fish at night for seatrout from beginning of May until August. Only started after it got dark but nights are short in a Scottish summer.
I had about four miles of fishing to look after so there was a lot of strimming of paths and trimming of trees. One young lad of about 16 was a part of a group of 6 fishing for the week. Sensible lad. Since he was the fittest I showed him where to go which was the most remote but promising pools to fish. I went with one of the older gents to a dam some mile upstream of where the young lad had to go.
The lads best chance of some fish was a round shaped pool surrounded by cliffs with one narrow access route in. Out the same way. At the neck of the pool was a rock promontory from which he could fish. The walk to the pools are down well worn paths through beech trees about 150 years old and lots of Rhododendrons.
So while standing alongside the older gent at the dam we suddenly notice a figure at the other side of the dam. It’s the young lad who staggers none too quietly across the dam wall. When he gets to us he’s shaking and in a bit of a state. He’d got to the main pool and clearly spotted a chap out on the promontory in the half light. He’d looked down to get down the two foot drop to access the promontory and looked back up to see no sign of the visitor.
I asked him for a description of the bloke. He perfectly described the previous ghillie who had died four years earlier but who he’d never met.

Now that’s a good one!

The new owner deserves the Thug Life treatment!

I've got one, not me though, happened to a friend of mine. He was on a roofing job somewhere in Wales, on an old vicarage or sumsuch, not a stately home as such, but an old, large and rather well to do property...anyway, one break time (frequent joint breaks) he took a walk in the grounds, and noticed a wing of the hose he had not seen before, which was weird, because they had been all over the building for days.  As his mind was trying to compute  this information, he saw a little girl, about five or six, in a white dress with long blonde hair standing looking at him. He figured she was the child of someone on the grounds, and as he looked at her he noticed her hair was kind of floating slowly about, though there was no wind. Instantly, he felt overwhelmed by fear and ran back to the lads. So he mentioned this event to the owner, and apparently there was a wing of the house many years ago that was demolished. The daughter of the then-occupier, had a bedroom on the top floor of the wing, and she had a pet grass snake. The story was her father found the snake one day in the garden and stomped it, whereapon she went into depression and jumped or fell out of her bedroom window and fell to her death....

The whole wing of the house. ?! That’s quite the apparition. my uncle used to tell a story of when he was a boy in the 1950s and walking across the fields near his house saw a big stone wall with a door in it and a woman beckoning him in. There was no wall there and he said he got a strong feeling that he shouldn’t go in and instead ran home. He swears this is true although it sounds bonkers.
  • Like 1

Never experienced anything at work but a few years ago I was living in Weymouth. One bright and sunny Sunday at about twelve noon I nipped into a nearby pub which was a great rambling Victorian building.

I had a quick pint and bought a box of matches but when I came out it was dark. The town was deserted and it had suddenly become very cold. When I tried to walk some unseen force had me about the knees and I stumbled and fell. When I opened my mouth to speak the voice that came out was not mine and it spoke in tongues.

I must have been in some kind of trance because I have no memory of getting home and when I woke up I felt terrible and was covered in ectoplasm.

Fecking weird. Never went near that place again. They've since knocked it down and rightly so. 

Never experienced anything at work but a few years ago I was living in Weymouth. One bright and sunny Sunday at about twelve noon I nipped into a nearby pub which was a great rambling Victorian building.
I had a quick pint and bought a box of matches but when I came out it was dark. The town was deserted and it had suddenly become very cold. When I tried to walk some unseen force had me about the knees and I stumbled and fell. When I opened my mouth to speak the voice that came out was not mine and it spoke in tongues.
I must have been in some kind of trance because I have no memory of getting home and when I woke up I felt terrible and was covered in ectoplasm.
Fecking weird. Never went near that place again. They've since knocked it down and rightly so. 

That ghost story has been reported all over the country not just in Weymouth. In fact I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago when the pubs opened at 730 am because the rugby World Cup final was on. Seem the spirits are more active that time of the morning.

On 12/11/2019 at 23:40, Gimlet said:

That used to happen to me but it was after about 8 pints and I'm not sure it was ectoplasm :D

On 04/11/2019 at 05:41, Kent Arboreal said:

I know Halloween has just gone, but I wondered if anyone has any of their own ghost stories from jobs they've worked on. I've been in this business ten years and only have one. I got the idea as I decided to write about it in a halloween blog post for the company website for a bit of fun. I've copied and pasted it here, what do you guys reckon, and do you have any of your own?

As it is halloween, we thought why not write a post about a local haunting. But this one is a post with a difference because it happened first hand to the Kent Arboreal team on a job in Hoath. To protect the privacy of the customer, we'll not mention their names nor the exact location.

Hoath is a little village near Canterbury and Sturry, out on the old marshes that were once the Wantsum channel. A few years ago in 2014, Kent Arboreal were called to a job in a beautiful house there. The house was a converted barn and had been bought by the new owners who wanted some work to be done there before moving in as is often the case. So the first step was to visit the property and take a look to come up with a price for the job. There was a great deal of land surrounding the property with extensive gardens that had fallen into a state of disrepair. After visiting the property, Ben returned saying that the place gave him the creeps and that although it was empty and isolated, several hundred yards from the next dwelling, he felt like he was being watched. Obviously, we all laughed at him, he priced the job, which was a big one and would need us to be on site for about five days, and forgot about the whole thing.

As it turned out, we were given the contract for the garden clearance and various tree works, and we booked in for a few weeks time. When we arrived on site, there was a crew of builders there already, who were working inside the house, and living there for a couple of weeks while they carried out the renovations. When we arrived, we said our hellos, and John asked what they thought of the house. The reply was;

"It's a lovely place, but it's haunted to $*%^!"

We laughed and asked why they thought that and they told us that all night they could hear banging coming from empty rooms, their tools were being moved around, they heard whispering, and one had even received a phone call from a distant voice that couldn't be understood, from the number 000000000. He showed us the call record to prove it on his mobile phone.

Interested, but till not entirely convinced, we got on with our work. Joe told us that the back courtyard garden gave him the willies, but apart from that, day one was uneventful.

On day two, it was quiet in the morning, then in the afternoon, I went inside for a coffee. While I was there, there was knocking sounds coming from one of the back rooms. Nobody was in there, but it could well have been someone in one of the garden areas knocking against the wooden walls from outside while doing some job or another. But then there was a sound like wallpaper being unrolled, or a poster falling off a wall, something like that. It came from the hall, then out of the hall, a shadow shot through the kitchen and out of the front door. I was alone in the house at the time, and after looking at every angle, the only way the shadow could have been cast was by the kitchen lights in the middle of the room, but there was nothing to cast it. I was starting to become a believer.

On day three, Paul, one of the builders, was having an argument with somebody on the phone. When he hung up he said;

"I can't believe that! The driver from the skip company says he won't come here to pick up the skip unless we can promise there's someone on site to meet him because he reckons he saw something here when he dropped the skip off before we got here and it's definitely haunted."

When he did arrive, he said that when he dropped the skip off the first time, he knew the place was empty but he saw someone moving around in there, and while he was unloading the skip the radio in his lorry came on loud with a load of static.

Day four was quiet apart from the knocking and banging which we'd all got used to by then, even though it was louder than before, and definitely not one of us messing about. On day five a guy turned up to put in a new tv ariel and that involved some wiring being fitted in the back room where most of the noises came from. A few hours in, he was having a coffee with everyone else in the kitchen, and said that he'd be glad when he was done, because that room was creeping him out. He said that he was sure he kept hearing someone walking around in there but there was nobody inside the house, let alone in that room. The final thing that happened while we were working there, was that another contractor turned up to do some light fittings, and parked outside the house. While he was in there, his van radio came on really loud with a lot of static, just like the skip driver had said happened when he was there before.

A few weeks after we'd been there, the new owners had moved in, and John and I went over to visit them and settle up the bill one evening after work. John was curious, and asked the owner if he was enjoying living there. He obviously read between the lines a bit, maybe he'd already been asked about the place by one of the other contractors, and he responded by saying;

"It's a beautiful house, but I must say, it takes on a completely different feeling at night. It's not such a nice place after it gets dark."

We returned to work there a couple more times on smaller jobs, but as the clients were living there full time by then, we didn't spend much time in the actual house itself, but on one occasion, we were in the kitchen in the evening, having a cup of tea with the owner, when from the back room there was a huge crash, like a wardrobe being pushed over. The owner just put his finger up and whispered;

"Please just pretend you didn't hear that. We don't want the children to be scared."

The mention of the racket like a wardrobe falling over bought back a couple of memories - I've never seen anything physically out of the ordinary but on two occasions my wife has heard very loud bangs in unoccupied areas, one of those occasions when I was also present.

She used to run a cleaning company and a client had passed away, though cleaning the large period house continued, for the remaining family. Until one occasion when my partner was downstairs in the kitchen, with a young friend / employee upstairs- with nobody else in the house....she was very startled by a very loud crash behind her in the kitchen / hallway area, the sound of which bought her friend running downstairs. No explanation, nothing had moved but the kitchen was noticeably colder...and they ceased working there after that event.

The other time was in my mother's house, my father had sadly passed away some years prior. We were sat in the lounge talking when again, the volume of the bang we could hear downstairs could only be described as sounding like a wardrobe had been shoved over...we went upstairs to check - nothing, not a thing out of place.

No doubt to my mind a lot of things occur that we can't explain.