Ghost Stories

Kent Arboreal

I know Halloween has just gone, but I wondered if anyone has any of their own ghost stories from jobs they've worked on. I've been in this business ten years and only have one. I got the idea as I decided to write about it in a halloween blog post for the company website for a bit of fun. I've copied and pasted it here, what do you guys reckon, and do you have any of your own?

As it is halloween, we thought why not write a post about a local haunting. But this one is a post with a difference because it happened first hand to the Kent Arboreal team on a job in Hoath. To protect the privacy of the customer, we'll not mention their names nor the exact location.

Hoath is a little village near Canterbury and Sturry, out on the old marshes that were once the Wantsum channel. A few years ago in 2014, Kent Arboreal were called to a job in a beautiful house there. The house was a converted barn and had been bought by the new owners who wanted some work to be done there before moving in as is often the case. So the first step was to visit the property and take a look to come up with a price for the job. There was a great deal of land surrounding the property with extensive gardens that had fallen into a state of disrepair. After visiting the property, Ben returned saying that the place gave him the creeps and that although it was empty and isolated, several hundred yards from the next dwelling, he felt like he was being watched. Obviously, we all laughed at him, he priced the job, which was a big one and would need us to be on site for about five days, and forgot about the whole thing.

As it turned out, we were given the contract for the garden clearance and various tree works, and we booked in for a few weeks time. When we arrived on site, there was a crew of builders there already, who were working inside the house, and living there for a couple of weeks while they carried out the renovations. When we arrived, we said our hellos, and John asked what they thought of the house. The reply was;

"It's a lovely place, but it's haunted to $*%^!"

We laughed and asked why they thought that and they told us that all night they could hear banging coming from empty rooms, their tools were being moved around, they heard whispering, and one had even received a phone call from a distant voice that couldn't be understood, from the number 000000000. He showed us the call record to prove it on his mobile phone.

Interested, but till not entirely convinced, we got on with our work. Joe told us that the back courtyard garden gave him the willies, but apart from that, day one was uneventful.

On day two, it was quiet in the morning, then in the afternoon, I went inside for a coffee. While I was there, there was knocking sounds coming from one of the back rooms. Nobody was in there, but it could well have been someone in one of the garden areas knocking against the wooden walls from outside while doing some job or another. But then there was a sound like wallpaper being unrolled, or a poster falling off a wall, something like that. It came from the hall, then out of the hall, a shadow shot through the kitchen and out of the front door. I was alone in the house at the time, and after looking at every angle, the only way the shadow could have been cast was by the kitchen lights in the middle of the room, but there was nothing to cast it. I was starting to become a believer.

On day three, Paul, one of the builders, was having an argument with somebody on the phone. When he hung up he said;

"I can't believe that! The driver from the skip company says he won't come here to pick up the skip unless we can promise there's someone on site to meet him because he reckons he saw something here when he dropped the skip off before we got here and it's definitely haunted."

When he did arrive, he said that when he dropped the skip off the first time, he knew the place was empty but he saw someone moving around in there, and while he was unloading the skip the radio in his lorry came on loud with a load of static.

Day four was quiet apart from the knocking and banging which we'd all got used to by then, even though it was louder than before, and definitely not one of us messing about. On day five a guy turned up to put in a new tv ariel and that involved some wiring being fitted in the back room where most of the noises came from. A few hours in, he was having a coffee with everyone else in the kitchen, and said that he'd be glad when he was done, because that room was creeping him out. He said that he was sure he kept hearing someone walking around in there but there was nobody inside the house, let alone in that room. The final thing that happened while we were working there, was that another contractor turned up to do some light fittings, and parked outside the house. While he was in there, his van radio came on really loud with a lot of static, just like the skip driver had said happened when he was there before.

A few weeks after we'd been there, the new owners had moved in, and John and I went over to visit them and settle up the bill one evening after work. John was curious, and asked the owner if he was enjoying living there. He obviously read between the lines a bit, maybe he'd already been asked about the place by one of the other contractors, and he responded by saying;

"It's a beautiful house, but I must say, it takes on a completely different feeling at night. It's not such a nice place after it gets dark."

We returned to work there a couple more times on smaller jobs, but as the clients were living there full time by then, we didn't spend much time in the actual house itself, but on one occasion, we were in the kitchen in the evening, having a cup of tea with the owner, when from the back room there was a huge crash, like a wardrobe being pushed over. The owner just put his finger up and whispered;

"Please just pretend you didn't hear that. We don't want the children to be scared."

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Kent Arboreal said:

I know Halloween has just gone, but I wondered if anyone has any of their own ghost stories from jobs they've worked on. I've been in this business ten years and only have one. I got the idea as I decided to write about it in a halloween blog post for the company website for a bit of fun. I've copied and pasted it here, what do you guys reckon, and do you have any of your own?

As it is halloween, we thought why not write a post about a local haunting. But this one is a post with a difference because it happened first hand to the Kent Arboreal team on a job in Hoath. To protect the privacy of the customer, we'll not mention their names nor the exact location.

Hoath is a little village near Canterbury and Sturry, out on the old marshes that were once the Wantsum channel. A few years ago in 2014, Kent Arboreal were called to a job in a beautiful house there. The house was a converted barn and had been bought by the new owners who wanted some work to be done there before moving in as is often the case. So the first step was to visit the property and take a look to come up with a price for the job. There was a great deal of land surrounding the property with extensive gardens that had fallen into a state of disrepair. After visiting the property, Ben returned saying that the place gave him the creeps and that although it was empty and isolated, several hundred yards from the next dwelling, he felt like he was being watched. Obviously, we all laughed at him, he priced the job, which was a big one and would need us to be on site for about five days, and forgot about the whole thing.

As it turned out, we were given the contract for the garden clearance and various tree works, and we booked in for a few weeks time. When we arrived on site, there was a crew of builders there already, who were working inside the house, and living there for a couple of weeks while they carried out the renovations. When we arrived, we said our hellos, and John asked what they thought of the house. The reply was;

"It's a lovely place, but it's haunted to $*%^!"

We laughed and asked why they thought that and they told us that all night they could hear banging coming from empty rooms, their tools were being moved around, they heard whispering, and one had even received a phone call from a distant voice that couldn't be understood, from the number 000000000. He showed us the call record to prove it on his mobile phone.

Interested, but till not entirely convinced, we got on with our work. Joe told us that the back courtyard garden gave him the willies, but apart from that, day one was uneventful.

On day two, it was quiet in the morning, then in the afternoon, I went inside for a coffee. While I was there, there was knocking sounds coming from one of the back rooms. Nobody was in there, but it could well have been someone in one of the garden areas knocking against the wooden walls from outside while doing some job or another. But then there was a sound like wallpaper being unrolled, or a poster falling off a wall, something like that. It came from the hall, then out of the hall, a shadow shot through the kitchen and out of the front door. I was alone in the house at the time, and after looking at every angle, the only way the shadow could have been cast was by the kitchen lights in the middle of the room, but there was nothing to cast it. I was starting to become a believer.

On day three, Paul, one of the builders, was having an argument with somebody on the phone. When he hung up he said;

"I can't believe that! The driver from the skip company says he won't come here to pick up the skip unless we can promise there's someone on site to meet him because he reckons he saw something here when he dropped the skip off before we got here and it's definitely haunted."

When he did arrive, he said that when he dropped the skip off the first time, he knew the place was empty but he saw someone moving around in there, and while he was unloading the skip the radio in his lorry came on loud with a load of static.

Day four was quiet apart from the knocking and banging which we'd all got used to by then, even though it was louder than before, and definitely not one of us messing about. On day five a guy turned up to put in a new tv ariel and that involved some wiring being fitted in the back room where most of the noises came from. A few hours in, he was having a coffee with everyone else in the kitchen, and said that he'd be glad when he was done, because that room was creeping him out. He said that he was sure he kept hearing someone walking around in there but there was nobody inside the house, let alone in that room. The final thing that happened while we were working there, was that another contractor turned up to do some light fittings, and parked outside the house. While he was in there, his van radio came on really loud with a lot of static, just like the skip driver had said happened when he was there before.

A few weeks after we'd been there, the new owners had moved in, and John and I went over to visit them and settle up the bill one evening after work. John was curious, and asked the owner if he was enjoying living there. He obviously read between the lines a bit, maybe he'd already been asked about the place by one of the other contractors, and he responded by saying;

"It's a beautiful house, but I must say, it takes on a completely different feeling at night. It's not such a nice place after it gets dark."

We returned to work there a couple more times on smaller jobs, but as the clients were living there full time by then, we didn't spend much time in the actual house itself, but on one occasion, we were in the kitchen in the evening, having a cup of tea with the owner, when from the back room there was a huge crash, like a wardrobe being pushed over. The owner just put his finger up and whispered;

"Please just pretend you didn't hear that. We don't want the children to be scared."

Spooky??

• Like 2

The new owner deserves the Thug Life treatment!

I've got one, not me though, happened to a friend of mine. He was on a roofing job somewhere in Wales, on an old vicarage or sumsuch, not a stately home as such, but an old, large and rather well to do property...anyway, one break time (frequent joint breaks) he took a walk in the grounds, and noticed a wing of the hose he had not seen before, which was weird, because they had been all over the building for days.  As his mind was trying to compute  this information, he saw a little girl, about five or six, in a white dress with long blonde hair standing looking at him. He figured she was the child of someone on the grounds, and as he looked at her he noticed her hair was kind of floating slowly about, though there was no wind. Instantly, he felt overwhelmed by fear and ran back to the lads. So he mentioned this event to the owner, and apparently there was a wing of the house many years ago that was demolished. The daughter of the then-occupier, had a bedroom on the top floor of the wing, and she had a pet grass snake. The story was her father found the snake one day in the garden and stomped it, whereapon she went into depression and jumped or fell out of her bedroom window and fell to her death....

• Like 4

Many years ago I priced up quite a few bits n pieces in a big overrun garden , few trees deadwooded, fruit trees pruned , hedges cut back into shape, full days work for 4 .
The aging lady customer lived in a cluttered old bungalow .
On the day we did it,almost straight away lots of little things occurred, one lad mildly twisted his ankle , another was stabbed in the face by an Apple tree broken branch he’d walked into, my son in law got stung by a wasp or something and puffed his face up immediately,and I walked into a metal spike that was angled out of the ground in the long grass skinning my shin,and this was all before the first tea break.
So discussing all this, everyone agreed the place had, what nowadays you’d say, bad vibes, nothing would go right, everything seemed awkward, and this was a well oiled team on top of their game usually.
As we hurried along to get out of there as soon as, I remember the mood affecting all of us , anyway we finished, she came out,paid up and we cleared out of it.
The next year, against my better judgment on the day,we went back for routine maintenance, but immediately we all felt very uncomfortable and down, so we did a quick bodge it and scarper and never returned, even though she asked me back after that.
Occasionally when I’m in Sporle I pass by her place,derelict and overgrown, and I think back to whatever it was in there, certainly didn’t want us in there.

• Like 2

Think I’d definitely sell the place if I lived there.

I’ve not had any personally but my dad was on a job coincidentally I think that was Canturbury a good few years ago.

Anyway they offered a tea he went in then heard loud banging upstairs like some one was running.

Apparently it happens frequently but if you go upstairs it then moves to the loft. They said no one was brave enough to then go in the loft to follow it.

Needless to say my dad didn’t offer too look in the loft [emoji23]

• Like 2

Think I’d definitely sell the place if I lived there.

I’ve not had any personally but my dad was on a job coincidentally I think that was Canturbury a good few years ago.

Anyway they offered a tea he went in then heard loud banging upstairs like some one was running.

Apparently it happens frequently but if you go upstairs it then moves to the loft. They said no one was brave enough to then go in the loft to follow it.

Needless to say my dad didn’t offer too look in the loft [emoji23]

Oooh creepy! Canterbury has a lot of history, theres been a town for 3000 years. Bound to be a few ghosts there.

The wife and i have never spoken about this after it happend because it put the shitters up us both.

We were in mull couple of years back.We hired a cottage up near Calgary beach,stunning beach if you ever go there.

We decided to take the walk around the headland that starts at calgary and finishes at the road which leads to the cottage,weve done it a few times on our visits to Mull.

About 11am we were heading along the path,broad daylight,no one around windy but not blowing hard.

I looked ahead and saw a wee girl,dunno what age but she looked small,long dark hair and a brown dress on.We were approximatley 150 metres away.The girl ran down the hill and onto the track we were walking on and kept running onto an old peir.

The peir is in serious disrepair infact its only a third intact.

The wife said to me "where did she come from?", i said dunno.

The girl walked out into the peir and walked towards the end of it, weve been on this walk before so we knew the peir was dangerous.

The girl kept walking,i dunno how else to say this but she kept walking out till she was walking on air... that part of the peir had gone!

She wasnt floating she was walking in air as if she was walking on something solid,then she vanished.

She didnt fade she didnt drop she vanished.

Imagine you press a button to swith off your tv,its instant,just like that.

All this took maybe a 45 seconds.

There were no other people,there is no peir where she was walking,she was walking on air over the sea then vanished...in broad daylight at 11 am.

It doesnt creep me out,it just makes me question things i thought were fact.

Edited by stihlmadasever
  • Like 3