Top-handled saw

GuyMo

21 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

There he is, tuning a tiny saw like that perform like a 560 and all you can say is “ooh look at his shorts!” Instead of remarking on the performance.

I never mentioned his shorts Mick, I was rather taken with his manly legs. The way he used the saw as a gypsy stick was a bit alarming when it swung back down to his manly legs though.

Edited by peatff

5 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I was a bit confused by the text above. 

Are we talking aerial crown reductions in woodland trees or a general use woodland saw?

I guess I’m wondering why woodland trees need crown reductions?

Totally fair. It's a private estate in Ireland, that hasn't been managed at all for possibly 30 years (about 60 acres). The house is set above a large proportion of the woodland. A lot of the larger oaks and sycamores are obscuring the views from the house. As its completely surrounded by large (unmanaged) trees on all sides there is quite a lot to do, not just crown reduction. Bit of a mixed bag.

I suppose my main interest is getting a top handle to start that can handle the larger stuff in the bigger trees. 

Cheers

2 hours ago, GuyMo said:

Totally fair. It's a private estate in Ireland, that hasn't been managed at all for possibly 30 years (about 60 acres). The house is set above a large proportion of the woodland. A lot of the larger oaks and sycamores are obscuring the views from the house. As its completely surrounded by large (unmanaged) trees on all sides there is quite a lot to do, not just crown reduction. Bit of a mixed bag.

I suppose my main interest is getting a top handle to start that can handle the larger stuff in the bigger trees. 

Cheers

?? Was just trying to understand the context where/how the saw would be used.

A top handle (Stihl) and a groundsaw sounds like the best situation. 

9 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

?? Was just trying to understand the context where/how the saw would be used.

A top handle (Stihl) and a groundsaw sounds like the best situation. 

Nice one! My 261 seems to manage the oaks that I've hacked up once they've fallen (although it definitely has its flaws). The Stihl top handles seem to get a decent write up pretty much everywhere, 200 or 201tc seems to be a big question? They seem to be much more popular than the 540s.