Best Firewood Trailer for an ATV?

BestBoy

The estate that I work on is looking to buy a new ATV trailer for carting firewood. I have to move many tonnes of cut and dried wood through narrow, winding paths, and I'm looking for something that can remain stable travelling at speed. Robustness is important, as our current trailer has to be loaded lightly and taken slow due to the bumpy offroad conditions.

If anyone has suggestions that would be great. There are a few that I have my eye on, but I need more convincing!

Vavja jussi is about the best. The Chinese/cheap copies aren't well made and all seem to develop crane issues early on. Just make sure when your talking about moving at reasonable forward speed anything that loads itself won't be greatly stable. If it's only smaller volumes then the logic trailers you hand load are very good and will tow anywhere you can get the quad to and stick a bit more speed running back to the yard.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sandspider said:

The stein arborist trolley seems popular. Not cheap though, and I'm not sure if it comes with a towball attachment as standard, just human towing handles?

Similar type of thing...

WWW.TCFENGINEERING.CO.UK

Our Mini Timber Trailer is perfect for low impact forestry...

Edited by Bolt

I`ve got a TCF Trailer, the twin axle one, and are very pleased with it.

When I ordered it I asked for bolt on wheels, and larger tyres (wider and taller), which they did with no problems. I believe the bolt on wheels (rather than complete wheel/hub assembly), are standard fit now.   

WWW.TCFENGINEERING.CO.UK

Our ATV timber trailer is perfect for moving cordwood, short or long lengths, logs or chip. Ideal for low impact forestry...

I find it follows the quad well, and the twin axle smooth's out rough ground well, problely better loaded than empty.

To me this model is preferable over the heavy duty atv trailer they make, which is a bolster type trailer, as this one with the mesh bottom I can move other stuff as well, split logs (I think tcf can make a tail gate for them), fencing and tools, bales, leaves and hedge cuttings, etc. 

• Like 2

Thank you for the suggestions. My main concern with the arborist trolley is that the timber has been cut into small pieces that have already been cut to length, ready to split with an axe. So I couldn't make the most of its unique shape, as it's designed to carry long limbs.

I'm wondering if something like this would be suitable due to the extra capacity, or if the ATV wouldn't be able to pull it packed with logs. As few journeys as possible would be ideal, as I have a long way to travel and a lot of logs to get through.

I'll keep looking for one with a tandem axle as suggested

Edited by BestBoy

13 minutes ago, woody paul said:

Where are you based.

Near Ipswich, England.

SCH is maybe 20 minutes drive from me, (and 30 from the essex-suffolk border) so it's a convenient manufacturer. However they have no tandem axle, and I'm unsure how much I can actually tow with an ATV, so their GPATV might not be suitable. The Yamaha seems to be rated to 600kg towed, but I've barely towed half that before with the current trailer.