Blocked oil tank breather 338xpt

richyrich

4 hours ago, richyrich said:

Can blocked oil breather cause oil to stop being pumped? Think its the problem on my saw. Works for while then stops- poss air lock.

Any ideas for how to replace? Thanks

I picked outer piece off...

20191101_142803.jpg

Yes . It pulls a vacuum . Lay the saw on its side with the oil cap just cracked open and if it keeps oiling then that is the problem .

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Yes . It pulls a vacuum . Lay the saw on its side with the oil cap just cracked open and if it keeps oiling then that is the problem .

I think it will be that so will check over weekend. Thanks. Any idea how to replace if compressor won't clear it??

50 minutes ago, adw said:

There should be a white pourous plug over that duck bill breather, as it's missing it could well be blocked, you can take it out and clean/check it.

The saws been out of action for a couple of years. I took the plug out last time i tried to sort the issue. Can the 'valve' be prised out or pushed from inside..? Thanks. I use veg oil which prob not helped.

You can get the valve out from the outside, if you are careful you can re use it, i think it prudent to replace it ( 530026119, plug 503981301 ) the oil pump is buried deep inside the machine and requires a full strip down to get to it, you can fish the oil filter on the end of the pipe out through the oil filler hole, so worth a check , veg oil is dreadfull stuff and if left will block everything.

11 hours ago, billpierce said:

If the veg oil has gunked up the oil pump, its likely the worm drive on the sprocket has stripped. Also worth checking this if cleaning the breather doesnt work

Thanks, i checked the worm drive out after watching a Youtube vid , hoping that would be it, but it was as good as new. Thanks?